Comments: Smuggy Smugsgiving

I always read your blog (and buy and read your books) but never post. However, when you choose your movie, choose The Blind Side. Wonderful!

Posted by Vivian at November 28, 2009 4:58 PM

I must say I'm glad to hear of one other person who is completely done with Christmas shopping (finished my last, terribly-hard-to-buy-for person a couple weeks ago). Most people look at me as though I were the big blizzard that ate Santa on his way to deliver presents when I tell them that. I just believe in budgeting and budget in Christmas presents February through November. Then I'm done. It helps, though, that my b-day is in December, as is my mom's (mine five days after and hers five days before Christmas), and my husband's is in mid-January. It kind of lights a fire to get things done in the other months.

But, um, we had a fun and nicely uneventful Thanksgiving. *sighs* Yum.

Posted by jess at November 28, 2009 6:37 PM

Mr. Fox is a super-win. I loved, loved, loved it. I was filled with trepidation because I loathe, loathe, loathe Wes Anderson's other films.

And I love Roald Dahl's books. I truly enjoyed the film and so did all my kids (18,15 and 9) and my parents. Win, all the way around.

Posted by maybaby at November 28, 2009 6:55 PM

I really enjoyed your vivid description of the Target lady. You must be a writer or something ;). Glad you had a great Thanksgiving!
Oh, and I saw the sparkly vampires, and it was fun, not as bad as the first one (though I'd dearly love to hear your review!) but I still haven't seen the Inspirational Football Movie. I want to, even though I am 99.9% sure it'll make me cry! Sometimes that's a good thing.

Posted by Heather at November 28, 2009 7:13 PM

Went to see Mr. Fox today because I adore Roald Dahl. Not as much as I adore YOU, obviously. (kiss up alert level orange!)

I very very much enjoyed it. Very much.
Child 1 who is 7 liked it okay.
Child 2 who is 5 fell asleep.

I agree that they needed to be older. not a whole lot. Child 1 probably would have enjoyed it without the influence of squirmy child 2.

So So nice to have well-done animated films, though. Up was wonderful.

Posted by Wendy at November 28, 2009 7:51 PM

I LUF Scrogged too ... Bill Murray is the bestest! And Carol Kane is also fantabulous!

Posted by Lynnetta at November 28, 2009 8:47 PM

What?! No Potato Fat Fat or is it Fat Potato Fat? Will have to check out The Fantastic Mr. Fox. We took our 12 year old to Mr. Carrey's Christmas Carol (fabulous) and then just Haley and I saw the sparkly vampire movie.

On to Black Friday--Haley got a call from a friend whose friend was BITTEN by an old lady over a pair of jeans while shopping in Destin. Didn't want to ask what old is to a twelve year old but still...that's just WRONG. So yes, Virginia, those Target types really do exist.

Posted by Kim at November 28, 2009 10:56 PM

My holiday madlib:
I saw the SPARKLEVAMPIRE movie on BLACKFRIDAY with GAYBESTIE. Totally enjoyable. Methinks best to ogle GOLDENABS while DIGESTING mounds of PECANPIE.

Posted by Miss Ennui at November 29, 2009 12:07 AM

I work in retail and don't want to talk about Black Friday, kthxbai.

Also, went to see The Road the night before Thanksgiving, and while both my husband and I liked the book, the movie-- well, it left me a weepy, pitiful shred of a human. So...probably not what you're looking for. Gah.

Posted by ellbee at November 29, 2009 1:55 AM

I am so happy to hear you had a relaxing and happy Thanksgiving! Yay you!! I do want to chime in on the movie conversation about A Christmas Carol to warn folks that they are marketing it to young kids, but it is too dark and scary for little ones. I took my 4 boys to see this wretched excuse for a Christmas movie this evening. My 4 and 7 year olds were terrified, my 14 year old was creeped out by the spirit of Christmas present, and I was appalled by all the dark Halloween type imagery. My family and I absolutely hated this dreadful depressing movie and I feel it will take a week to get back in the holiday spirit after seeing this NIGHTMARE of a film. We even walked out near the end because my little boys were terrified and begging to go home. Just be aware that this is NOT a happy bright Christmas film, and use caution when taking sensitive children.

Posted by Julie in Austin at November 29, 2009 1:58 AM

Had a smuggie Th. myself. Was geared up to be weepy and pitiful (all the other Americans in the whole city were banding together and leaving just us, the only Americans in the French school, all alone and forlorn and bereft) But one had guilt (HA!) and gave us tins of pumpkin and cranberry, and I made an AWESOME chicken, and kept the kids home from school, and it ended up being a fun and lovely time. Ha!
I don't know about movies, but I hated with a pure white intense hatred the Twilight books. So I'd avoid sparkly vampires like I would the organs that came with my fresh chicken. (I avoided them, let me tell you) On the other hand, here is a moment of amusement for you: http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=45278 You're welcome!

Posted by edj at November 29, 2009 11:30 AM

The ads for the new Christmas Carol do look lame to me . . but my favorite version is the 1971 animated one, which at 7 years old I thought was awfully creepy and scary. It stuck with me, though! (it can be seen at http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-8817517652455175582&q=a+christmas+carol+sim#)

Posted by Brigitte at November 29, 2009 12:11 PM

I vote for Blind Side. And thanks, Julie, for the heads up about Christmas Carol!!

Posted by Carol at November 29, 2009 5:16 PM

I am finishing my first semester of teacher's college on Dec 4, and I plan to treat myself to a matinee showing of SparklyVampire movie as soon as the last assignment is handed in!

Husband and I tried to go see it last night but there were 150 billion giggly, excited teenage girls there with their equally excited and giggly friends, and only 5 seats left, which meant we couldn't sit together. So, we will try again.

Also, interesting to note that the retailers in Canada are now starting to have Black Friday sales on the American Thanksgiving weekend, even though we had Thanksgiving nearly six weeks ago.

And, I love having my Christmas shopping done by the last weekend in November. Due to aforementioned school, I have about four presents left to buy, and I am having heart palpitations when I think about going to the mall at ANY time in December. Pantpantpantpantpant!

Posted by Lindsey at November 29, 2009 5:38 PM

Was that Amy Go's Derby Pie I made? It was an enormous hit at my house.

Posted by Sara at November 29, 2009 7:48 PM

I really recommend the sparkly vampire movie. Saw it with my nieces and my sister and what an experience! You certainly don't go see this movie for Meryl Streep-type acting, but the "call-and-response-like" feeling in the audience is priceless, the scenery gorgeous (and not just the men), and the action is pretty cool.

Posted by Bernice at November 30, 2009 9:45 AM

I had a smugtastic Thanksgiving as well -- thank you Kroger Deli for turkey, dressing, gravy and cranberry relish! My hubby and I made Southern Living sweet potato casserole and green bean bundles (drapped with bacon, not bundled) the night before and then just threw everything in the oven the next morning, and I did not stress one bit! It was lovely.

As for movies, you must see The Blind Side. Lee Anne Tuohy is my new personal hero. Saw the movie Saturday and can't stop thinking about her and Michael. It was just so uplifting and sweet, and yes it had a few cheesey parts, but it was so worth seeing. I'm ready to take my 9-year-old son to see it, with a few words of caution.

BTW, White Collar is my new FAVE show. Smart, funny and plenty of eye-candy, just how I like 'em.

Posted by Lori B. at November 30, 2009 10:22 AM

Footballs. Unless you saw the first sparkly vampires, and it was baad acting, you prolly dont want to sit through the second. I heard the acting was worse. And that is saying alot.

Posted by Katie at November 30, 2009 12:32 PM

I was surprised when while "let's just get out of the house for a while" he pulled in to the theatre and we saw sparkly vampires with our just turned 8 son. Parts were pretty loud but it was not a bad movie if you read the books and know what is coming. Sparkly vampire movie 3 poster was up in the lobby with a release date of June 30,2010. I wonder will I be finished reading Backseat Saints by then...

Posted by Linda j at November 30, 2009 12:44 PM

I can smuggle with you. For the first time, we traveled nowhere, no one came to us. It was just me, my husband and our five-year-old. Smooth Thanksgiving Day, did not shop on Friday, but did go see Fantastic Mr. Fox (but we had to sit on the front row because it was packed!) and loved it still!

Posted by LaBlues at December 4, 2009 7:05 PM