Comments: Happy HalloWTH? (PART 2)

HA! Oh Joss. As long as we can actually wear jeans under our assless chaps, I'm in ;)

Posted by Heather at November 4, 2009 8:08 AM

Assless chaps are totally the way to go when forming an uprising. I mean, what is scarier than a mass of people in assless chaps? I think ONE person in assless chaps would freak me out, let alone a giant group of people.

At least you don't have teetotaler parents for your kids to tell about your liquor habits. Luckily, I was an older child when my parents started drinking, so I had the sense not to tell my very Southern Baptist grandmother about it. We still hide the cabinet of wine glasses when she comes to visit. She was SHOCKED to find beer in my brother's fridge when we went over to his house. She whispered heatedly to my mother, "Did you see the BEER in their fridge??? And the wine in the pantry???" My mother didn't know what to say. I think she just said yes and changed the subject. My brother also makes truffles, and usually adds various liqueurs to the ganache (did I mention how much I love my brother?) - he brought some to the Christmas family get together and pretended there was no alcohol in them. So better a pizza place full of Baptists hearing about your liquor shop preferences than your teetotaler very Southern Baptist grandparents.

Posted by Haley at November 4, 2009 8:20 AM

Having a 10 year girl and a 5 year old girl (and a 2 y/o boy) I TOTALLY understood BBBBBZZZZTTTTT. It's a regular part of conversation around our house!

Posted by Chandler at November 4, 2009 9:12 AM

BBBBZZZZZTTTTT so perfectly describes the energy zzzssing off that picture of Maisie with the Disney World princess, one of my favorite photos in all the world.

Posted by hollygee at November 4, 2009 9:25 AM

Oh yeah. I don't think my kids every tasted a Butterfinger till they went away to college.

Posted by pam at November 4, 2009 9:31 AM

Love it! Having grown up Southern Baptist, I always feel mildly anxious taking my children into the liquor store to pick up a bottle of wine or margaritas. Sadly, the Tennessee legislature will not let us buy wine in the grocery store like other normal people. Haley, I feel your pain. My own mother tries very hard not to look askance at the beer in my fridge. My husband comes from a Midwestern family of German descent where beer drinking is a way of life and they don't have a single alcoholic in the bunch, which is sadly more than I can say for my Southern Baptist family.

Posted by Lori B. at November 4, 2009 9:58 AM

Oh, Maisy stories are the best! I needed a laugh-out-loud moment this morning.

In my family, we always say, "little ears, big mouths." The little darlings pay attention to everything and spit it out to anyone who will listen.

Posted by JenniferG at November 4, 2009 10:15 AM

The thought of buttless chaps makes my cheeks cold.

Posted by Carrie (in MN) at November 4, 2009 10:17 AM

Seems your VERY FAVORITE LIQUOR STORE could use a drive-through window. Gotta love that Maisy Jane!

Posted by Kim Williamson at November 4, 2009 10:31 AM

I totally sympathize with wanting to crawl under tables when kids talk. I'm working hard to break a six year old from telling random strangers, "This isn't my Mom. This is my Daddy's friend. She lives with us now." I either want her to shut up or add in that her Mommy dumped her Daddy years before I showed up so people quit looking at me like some kind of homewrecker.

Posted by Heather at November 4, 2009 10:34 AM

"you might be getting married in it.”

My wedding dress did look like a giant tutu. So the ballet recital tutu could work just as long as she doesn't grow.

Posted by GrandeMocha at November 4, 2009 11:08 AM

BTW Stacey,

Congrats! If figure out how to do the effortless chignon, tell us the secret.

Posted by GrandeMocha at November 4, 2009 11:10 AM

I can just hear her shrill little warble making that awesome proclamation. Just how does pizza topped with MORTIFIED taste, anyway?

Posted by Mir at November 4, 2009 11:28 AM

I can totally relate to BBBBZZZZZTTTTT and over sharing children. My 7-year-old got into an age discussion with the baristas at Panera and announced my age to the world.

Posted by Jenn at November 4, 2009 12:52 PM

Wow she really keeps you on your toes. Good thing she doesn't (i hope ) read your novels. A kidney through the nostril??? Where do you come up with these things???

Posted by Linda J at November 4, 2009 1:03 PM

Ahh Joss. Your family really for reals needs to be on a sitcom. Or you need to write a sitcom about your family. I would so watch it. Laffaminute for sure!

Posted by Gail at November 4, 2009 1:11 PM

Of course that was a real word. In fact, when I got to the footnote, I had to go back to look for what might not have been a word and couldn't find anything. So then I looked for the * and found a new onomatopoeia.

And I'm wondering, in a cultural ignorance kind of way, does pizza in Georgia require the use of fork & knife? I ask, because when we moved to Louisiana and ate pizza in public the way we were taught in California (fingers, hands, lots of napkins) we found we were being stared at by people who were much more, um, dainty about pizza. I couldn't tell if that was southern gentility or just a weird pizza parlor.

Posted by Lulu at November 4, 2009 1:50 PM

Lulu: I grew up in Atlanta and we never ate pizza with a knife and fork, nor did anyone I knew.

Posted by Haley at November 4, 2009 2:38 PM

As long as the 3 guys got it - I was momentarily afraid Maisy might make them think that you DEPRIVED her of a proper Halloween costume in order to fund your liquor needs!

Posted by Brigitte at November 5, 2009 7:31 AM

For the record, BBBBZZZZTTTT is so totally a word that I didn't even notice the * behind it and had to go hunting for the * when I ran into your footnote.

Hilarious, as always! Keep 'em comin'!!!

Posted by Damsel at November 6, 2009 9:24 AM