Comments: Happy HalloWTH? (PART 1)

At 13, both of my two oldest children claimed they would no longer go trick or treating.

This year, those same two children are 14 and 15. They both went trick or treating.

When I suggested they were too old, their jaws dropped literally. My oldest even proclaimed, "You are never too old to go trick or treating." Clearly, she is delusional.

But despite pronouncements, this really might not be the end.

Posted by Linda Sherwood at November 2, 2009 9:57 AM

There may be such a thing as a pink mummy fairy costume, but there SHOULDN'T be.

Posted by edj at November 2, 2009 10:09 AM

That sparkly pink mummy fairy costume is a great way to start out a Monday!

Posted by Jenn at November 2, 2009 10:51 AM

Oh! I'm so excited to see that you Nanowrimo that I didn't even read the rest of your blog yet - I had to go right to comments. I'm soooo excited - this is my first year doing Nanowrimo, although I've been a fan for many years. Too chicken to try it. I'm off to a great (and very cocky) start - I logged in about 3,400 words yesterday. I'm home from work with a sick child today so a few paragraphs might just find their way into my draft (while I'm "working from home"). I just checked out gods in Alabama from the library the other day (having loved Between, Georgia). But, I'm sorry to say you have been put on the shelf until Nanowrimo is done - I feel confident you'll understand. :)

Posted by Kitty at November 2, 2009 10:58 AM

Posted by Kitty at November 2, 2009 10:59 AM

Apparently, I'm so excited that I got a little trigger-happy with the post button. Sorry!!

Posted by Kitty at November 2, 2009 11:02 AM

My parents always stuffed me into the previous year's ballet costume for Halloween.

Now that I'm an adult (and have re-started taking dance classes) I still wear the previous year's ballet costume for Halloween.

Thriftiness for the win.

And I don't think they even have *cheaters* at NaNoWriMo any more. They've started a "NaNo Rebels" thread on the forums, so I'd suggest that you're that. Get you a black leather jacket and some motorcycle boots and write, Joss, write.

Kitty, I'm glad you're doing NaNo! Good luck and I hope you enjoy the process. Sounds like you're off to a great start to me!

Posted by erinanne at November 2, 2009 12:35 PM

I take the lessons anywhere I can get 'em. My blond-haired duo went at Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia--complete with used light sabers, totally slapped together costumes, and the whole sibling thing going on. They looked awesome, and we didn't buy one thing that we didn't already own. . .but we did ruin my husband's khaki dress socks as they were stretched over The Boy's tennis shoes and up his calves to make it appear that he was wearing Luke's boots. Good times.

Posted by Roxanne at November 2, 2009 12:58 PM

We were always gypsies or hobos as kids-- easy hand me down clothes kind of costumes.

And as for WalMart, well take a look at this site:

Posted by Laura L at November 2, 2009 1:59 PM

I love reading your blog...It just makes me laugh sometimes....
And I can so relate to your Wlamart rating! LOL!
We have way too many in our neck of the woods...being one of the largest city's in the US will do that...so there are some I just won't go to...I just hate going at all...I love visiting my DD's and their local farmers market, and Co-op...much more fun!

Posted by Lutra at November 2, 2009 5:34 PM

NaNoWriMo is just fun to say.

Posted by Heather at November 2, 2009 7:11 PM

Poor Sam. Trick or treating is the most fun when you are a teenager and mom and dad doesn't have to go with you. My daughter (age 17) and I took my puppy Izzabella out trick or treating this year. We didn't actually ask for candy but mostly walked around looking at all the awesome costumes. We were pirates. Izz was tinkerbell.

Posted by Debra at November 2, 2009 9:18 PM

Love the costumes that come from home or are used more than once. I don't know how I've managed to do this -- in fact it may be the one and only right thing I've done in raising my children -- but for some reason every year when they talk about Halloween, they rush up to their rooms to find costumes they already own to choose what they are going to be. It astonishes me every time. This year I had to pull out a safety pin to get Darth Vader's cape to stay together, but by golly it worked.

Posted by Lori B. at November 2, 2009 11:25 PM

I am so glad that I wasn't the only one to mutter "I certainly am NOT spending $40 on a costume" at our local Wal-Mart/Target. After assuring the kids that I would check the internet for costumes, but before having had a chance to do so, they both wound up rummaging around in the old costume bin. The younger child decided his Ghostface costume from two years ago still fit him and he wore that (yes, I do realize that we had bought a serial killer costume for a then-8-year-old, thank you very much) and I bought $1.99 worth of vampire teeth and makeup and the older one wore a....wait for it....old Harry Potter robe also from two years ago (which I made, so that didn't cost anything either). Everybody was happy, especially me.

Posted by Julia at November 3, 2009 9:57 AM

A Pink Mummy Fairy!! HEE! Oh my......

Posted by Kathy at November 3, 2009 2:03 PM

Last time I went trick-or-treating? It was 1970. I was a freshman in college. One of the girls on my floor in the dorm was not quite 5 feet tall. We bought her a mask, wrapped a sheet around her, gave her a little pumpkin bucket to collect the loot, and sallied forth. Made a nice haul that night, as I recall.

Posted by Jan in Norman, OK at November 3, 2009 4:35 PM

Well, you just have to visit this website!!! :)

Warning- it's horrifying!!