Comments: Shakespeare or The Bible

Well, why not Elf? It's as valid as anything else I suppose. That scene where he is inspecting jack in the boxes and being scared everytime is as funny as anything in Shakespeare. ;)

"Smiling's my favorite!"

Posted by Jill W. at October 27, 2009 11:29 AM

Well, you can add my BA in English to the fire, because I was with you on that one. But as soon as you mentioned Elf, I recalled the exact scene. Not sure what that says about me...

Posted by Laura L at October 27, 2009 11:32 AM

but who says Elf didn't steal, er - borrow it from Shakespear or the Bible?

having never seen Elf nor read all of Shakespear or the Bible, I may not be a good reference.

Posted by elizabeth at October 27, 2009 11:45 AM

Just out of curiosity, I Googled that phrase, and though neither the Bible or Bill showed up, your website came up about three times in the first two pages. Um, at least you don't sit on a throne of lies in regards to your usage of same...

Posted by ellbee at October 27, 2009 12:06 PM

Okay, so, I have happily co-opted your habit of accusing people of being lying liars who sit upon a throne of lies. Mostly my children, but still.

And on the rare occasion when someone has asked me where that's from, I tell them it's from you. I guess that _I_ am the lying liar now.

From my throne of lies,
M

Posted by Mir at October 27, 2009 1:35 PM

Who cares where it's from? You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore. (School of Rock)

Posted by edj at October 27, 2009 1:42 PM

No! You forgot! You obviously internalized that phrase from watching this lovely song on Youtube.

Posted by Jill James at October 27, 2009 7:06 PM

OH NO WAIT AGAIN! *I* FORGOT!

We saw that live. Remember?

Posted by Jill James at October 27, 2009 7:08 PM

*snort* I thought "Elf" as soon as I read the first paragraph, because I love that movie.

Hey, on the bright side, at least you've not been going around telling people they smell like beef and cheese. Although that *might* be Shakespeare.

What? You're not going to tell me that Falstaff doesn't smell like beef and cheese.

Posted by Aimee at October 28, 2009 11:18 AM

NO U!

Posted by Lia at October 29, 2009 12:55 AM

One of my personal favorite insults is to say that someone smells exactly like beef vegetable soup. It's from So I Married an Axe Murderer. Maybe not Shakespeare or the Bible, but charming nonetheless.

Posted by Allison at October 31, 2009 4:59 PM

Oh that makes me laugh! I'm constantly assuming unknown references are either from the Bible or Shakespeare. It wasn't until I reached 11th grade English that I found out lots of the things my mamma had quoted to me my whole life from the "Bible" were actually from Shakespeare. Hey, I'll take wisdom wherever I can get it -- even Elf!

Posted by Lori B. at November 1, 2009 11:04 PM