Comments: Sugar Kiting

i slightly change my comment from last entry. you can eat anything, but not everything. or you can eat everything, but not all at once. 'specially a bunch of high-strung donuts.

Posted by dramamama at October 19, 2009 9:40 AM

Heh. Maisy's a cagey one.

Posted by Aimee at October 19, 2009 11:14 AM

In several of Terry Pratchett's books he has a character named Dibbler who shows up whenever a crowd gathers (riot, natural disaster, fire, etc) and sets up a food stall. He sells questionable meats and his sales pitch is always, "...ON A STICK!" Works everytime so apparently Maisie isn't the only one who is fascinated with foods on sticks.

Posted by Heather at October 19, 2009 2:02 PM

That is the funniest story I've read in a while - and the visual of Maisy running in circles while hopped up on sugar...I just collapsed at my desk laughing.

Posted by Anna Marie at October 19, 2009 2:09 PM

Yet another priceless Maisey gem.

Posted by Linda J at October 19, 2009 3:10 PM

I have seen rock candy, which is 100% pure delicious crystalized SUGAR except when it's also .0001% artificial coloring, sold on both sticks AND strings. So I understand beautiful Maisy's conundrum. When in doubt, I suggest using your string-food to LASSO you some stick-food and thus allow yourself to enjoy the best of both worlds. Yep.

Posted by Badger at October 19, 2009 6:00 PM

I just wanted you (and Maisy) to know that Chicken-on-a-Stick is a delicacy available througout Mississippi. It's such a loved goodie that our team sold it during Realy For Life two years ago and we had people standing in line waiting on them to cook. We sold out in less that two hours and could have probably sold twice as many (or more) than we did. So come on back to the Magnolia State and I'll take you to Penn's Fish House (who has the best chicken-on-a-stick) for a bite!

Posted by Lynnetta at October 19, 2009 6:40 PM

Ok, the cereal I was eating is now in some sinus cavity, because I was laughing so hard! I must remember Maisy's line " I dunno how many I ate, I was blindfolded" I KNOW this will come in handy someday!!

Posted by Priscilla at October 19, 2009 7:34 PM

We have Youth Group envy over here, where they'll be lucky to hear Louie, Louie coming out of the neighbor's stereo while they tie knots to make lap blankets for the old folks home.

Maisy sounds like a tv sit-com. I bet she could earn her keep on Disney channel. ;)

Posted by PattiH at October 20, 2009 10:27 PM

I am struck by how much energy comes into your writing when you're writing about food, and when I read this post, about food on a stick, it seemed like you were really on to something, the stick (or string) making visible some of the connections between people and what they desire and fear. This post has stayed with me since I read it and I felt I ought to comment and say why.

Posted by Steve Lyon at October 21, 2009 9:03 AM

SEVEN? Beautiful Maisy is barely SEVEN?
How did that happen?
WHEN did that happen?
WHY was I not consulted?
*pout*
Next you'll tell me Sam is very nearly a teenager.

Posted by Kira at October 21, 2009 11:32 AM

I LOVE LOVE LOVE food on a stick AND donuts on a string. However, I am a Children's Minister, and so I have learned very quickly (and the hard way) to not let kids come back to the sugary games 5, 6, and 7 times.

Posted by Jennifer at October 21, 2009 12:27 PM

Maisy the pirhana fish would make a great cartoon character.

Posted by liz at October 21, 2009 1:22 PM

I have this quizzical Maisy Jane image in my head...

Seen with palms up...
balanced in one hand string food
balanced in the other stick food
A Ten-X dusting down forehead, nose, and chin
A wobbley question mark over those blonde curls
underscored by...

And the problem is?

Posted by Cele at October 21, 2009 6:30 PM

Lynetta beat me to it--but yes, we have chicken on a stick all over Mississippi, and it's fantastic. The best part is the pickles, I think.

Also I just reread gods in Alabama (on a Sunday, no less) and I got more from it this time than the time before. Also, I love it.

Posted by emily jane at October 21, 2009 9:15 PM

We get chicken satay from the Thai place. It comes on a stick, too. Once we had leftovers to take home and the helpful waiter removed the sticks so it would fit in the take-out box. Which rendered it inedible, according to my little boy. No good without the stick!

Posted by EmunaMama at October 22, 2009 7:38 AM

OMG! Donut Limbo sounds SO FUN!!.. and of course, what child wouldn't like it? It's full of donuts, sugar and a big mess... just what all kids love! Great!

Posted by Trace at October 24, 2009 7:45 PM