Comments: Up-ly and Forwardish

Can I go to Cold Stone with you? I am quite sure that someone took my slot.

What? Stop looking at me like that. I NEED ICE CREAM, DAMMIT.

Posted by Mir at October 11, 2009 5:12 PM

You said: The logic goes like this: “I need to be SUPER MORE EVEN BETTER, and it seems tiresome to try, so I might as well eat everything.” If you followed that, you have a twisty mind. If you not only followed it but can empathize, congratulations, you are very, very mentally ill indeed.

I say: Oh yes, I am very, very mentally ill indeed. Thanks for pointing that out. :)

Posted by pendy at October 11, 2009 5:14 PM

Okay, I'm not very competitive, but the thing about better no longer being good enough - I totally get that. So it seems I too am mentally ill.

Posted by Stephanie at October 11, 2009 5:21 PM

Joining the mental illness queue.

Posted by Mit at October 11, 2009 5:55 PM

Um. Yeah. My mind is twisty and mentally ill as well, it seems. I find prizes help me stay motivated. I am still it weight-loss mode, so prizes for losing weight mean I WIN. I try to do them small enough that I can do them often enough that I am always filled with WIN, like a book or a bubble bath. And then big landmarks, like every ten pounds get a bigger prize that means SUPER WIN, like a Wii game or a full-on dinner and a movie date with my husband (I've plotted out what exactly I get every 10 lbs so I don't have to think about it and then do nothing and never actually get my win and then become unmotivated). When I reach my goal weight (I'm 1/4 of the way there, 20 lbs down from 4 months ago!), I get an iPhone, which we all know equals WINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!! And then I'll move onto the business of maintaining, which will mean a prize every week if I meet all of my healthy goals. I like prizes. I like winning against myself, too.

Posted by JenA at October 11, 2009 6:02 PM

Oh, so I'm mentally ill. Didn't know. Well, did, but thanks for reminding me. I am currently shoving Nabisco Premium Minis Original Saltine Crackers into my face like I'll die if my mouth is empty for one second. I lost 72 pounds as of one year ago. I've since gained 40 back. Your little 2 1/2 pound gain can go suck eggs. (How's that for competitive?)

The first time that I successfully lost weight (by eating well and exercising, by the way), I was participating in a competition at work. Yeah, competition works for me. Five people committed $100 each for six months. We all set goals of not more than 30 pounds. Anyone who met the goal won. Anyone who didn't had to pay equivalent to the percentage that they didn't meet. For example, if someone had a 30 pound goal and lost 15 pounds they had to pay $50. The winners split the cash. One person was excused due to pregnancy, and I was the only winner. I made $212, which they gave me in change.

The second time I lost weight, it was thanks to an online group where we discussed our challenges and encouraged each other. As long as I stuck with that, I did well. The group got a little snarky so I quit - the group, and my good habits.

Competition and support seem to be motivators for many people. SparkPeople (one of the BEST weight loss/maintenance/exercise/healthy habits website out there) uses both. The competition comes from the Spark Points that you earn for every activity, and the support is provided by groups of every conceivable interest. You might want to check it out - it's free, and it's a great resource. Someday, when I wrest control of my brain back from the alien that has taken it over, that's what I'll use to help myself get back on track.

Posted by Sandi at October 11, 2009 6:23 PM

Joshilyn,
Better does not equal perfect. It's OK to strive for better, but you'll fail every time you attempt to be perfect. Trust me, I've tried and failed at that competition a thousand times. Do what works for you and your life and find joy in the decisions you make - whether those decisions find you indulging in butter-laden everything (nom!), sweating it out in boot camp or both. Thanks for sharing both your successes and setbacks with us here.
Alison

Posted by Alison Law at October 11, 2009 7:47 PM

Heh. I read this whilst eating my second yummy, buttery soft pretzel of the day, because I haven't been tortured by the eliptical in three weeks, so why bother being healthy.

Right there with you in the mentally ill spotlight. *sigh*

Posted by jessica at October 11, 2009 7:49 PM

You can't have that mentally ill twisty number. That is mine.

Which is Very Bad for me, since if I don't behave, I don't just gain weight and whatnot, I switch from pre-diabetic to full-fledged diabetic.

So enjoy Cold Stone for me (because I positively looooove it) and then starting tomorrow we both begin to be Better? Even though I'm deeply non-competative (you got my share, and I'm glad to see you using it so well), so I can't challenge you to a weight-loss duel or anything.

Posted by Fran at October 11, 2009 8:15 PM

I feel your pain. I haven't gained any weight back -- yet -- but for the last three days I've gone to work, come home exhausted, and settled in for an evening of television and the interwebs (at the same time). I do have the good fortune of not knowing the difference between great ice cream and ersatz ice cream (aka something cold, creamy, and sweet) so I happily consume a ramekin-full of Nestle Real Dairy No Sugar Added "ice cream" - 80 calories in 1/2 a cup - every day. If I ever develop a palate, I'll be in big trouble. (Before BetterU, I wasn't an ice cream eater at all. I used Skinny Cow ice cream sundaes as my reward, and now I'm hooked. The Nestle stuff is just as low-cal, and it's a lot cheaper.)

Anyway, I do know what you're going through, having been down this road before. I'm going to check out that online group. Peer pressure rocks.

Posted by Sandra Leigh at October 11, 2009 9:38 PM

Since you are just a titch competitive why not set another 10 week goal and display in your sidebar for all to see. After all you didn't do BetterU for BetterU in the first place. You did it for YOU. Set your goal, choose your reward and plaster it up there in big bold type so we can cheer you on.

Posted by Debra at October 12, 2009 7:04 AM

another twisty-mental here... If I could routinely find stress-relief in something other than food-- my faith, knitting, exercise, going out and DOING SOMETHING rather than sitting home and eating-- then I would have this thing whipped. It's the emotional eating that gets me, every time. I'm in school and work and have tests and deadlines and a very ill family member and live in the city so I have daily contact with multiple spectra of crazy people just by walking outside. If I would just do ANYTHING rather than eat when I feel stressed, I could be skinny and healthy. My sister has a running addiction as her stress reliever. She lives in a tiny safe small town, and she ran 10 miles last night. I ate HagenDaz strawberry.

Posted by elizabeth at October 12, 2009 10:19 AM

Wellsiree, I'm thinking with a Firebolt you could have played a game Quidditch chasing after that #4 tennis ball like it was the Golden Snitch. Thanks for giving me a laugh today; I have found laughter reduces MY mental illness number.

Posted by Kim at October 12, 2009 11:58 AM

How about... if you lose weight each week, you do NOT have to post the ACTUAL number. But if you stay the same or get a bigger number, you DO have to put the actual number on your blog?

I'd do it. :)

Posted by Heather Cook at October 12, 2009 12:36 PM

I haven't exercised in 3 weeks - except for walking. I need to start back up again! BetterU didn't really help me lose weight, but it did get me exercising regularly. Then I got a cold, and behind at work, and...

Boo. I am not competitive (really), but I very much admire your approach to book publishing - very mentally healthy!

Studies show that "sameness" definitely decreases value - which is why that nice house in the suburbs doesn't add as much to your happiness after you've been there a year or two - it's just as nifty (but the same), while your commute is a DIFFERENT bad every day, and detracts from your overall well-being.

No idea, but we can start a Mo'BetterU with your weekly posts again, if you think that would help!

Posted by Diane (TT) at October 12, 2009 12:51 PM

I've become addicted to beating my scores on Wii Fit. I live for it to say "personal best" after each session. Best reward EVER from my BetterU success!

The one goal I have yet to achieve...riding my Wii bike through the entire course without riding straight into the ocean. But even with my dripping wet bike and dripping wet Mii, I still got a "personal best" on my trip around the island this morning! LOL!

Posted by Charmi at October 12, 2009 2:40 PM

Sandi - I'm on SP, have lost 20 lbs since June on it, and I agree - it's friggin' AWESOME. Anyone else on SparkPeople who wants to look me up and be SP friends, my username there is WM_STAR. Whee!

Posted by Jen A at October 12, 2009 4:56 PM

Welcome to the Twisty World of the Very Mentally Ill. :)

Posted by edj at October 12, 2009 4:57 PM