Comments: Back in the World

Dear Aliens of Emmaus,

Enclosed please find one postage-paid human-sized canister. Please use it to return Joshilyn to us immediately. This pod-Joshilyn is pretty and makes nice words, but I suspect she's growing as a person, and I am frightened.

Love,
Mir

Posted by Mir at October 6, 2009 12:20 PM

Joss + Mir = made my morning. Thanks girls ;)

Posted by Heather at October 6, 2009 1:06 PM

Emmaus? Is that that place out by Milledgeville with the pyramids? Just kidding. :)

Posted by Jill W. at October 6, 2009 1:49 PM

I pink puffy <3 you for many reasons. But - THIS ONE: MIN + Emmaus + we are, who we are = my look at the world too.

My Emmaus walk was pretty spectacular (minus some of the kumbiah stuff that made my skin crawl) - and it makes me sad the nature of the walk doesn't let you repeat it - unless you are volunteering or leading.

I am ready to have the crap poured out again.

Welcome to the hippy commune - even if you don't want to be here!

Posted by Mit at October 6, 2009 6:22 PM

I have been and it was lovely and serene. But I was disappointed that it wasn't "life changing" for me. Which is why they don't tell you schedules and plans beforehand--so you don't expect life-changing. But I expected life changing all on my own.

My faith has grown by the books I read and the company I keep--far more than a one-time event.

I do have to say that I would have never gone if I knew about the irritating De Colores song. Which I hate, hate, HATE with a fiery passion! Perhaps if there were a speaker who created a parallel between De Colores and Satan, it WOULD have been life-changing.

We'll never know.

Posted by Nicole Amsler at October 6, 2009 6:31 PM

Being of the non-Christian flavor, I think the walking and quiet and nature sounds very nice. I'll have to take your word about the rest.

And regarding growing as a person? Well, okay, do it if you want, and it's good to be kinder and nicer, and I can encourage that.

But not so much that you stop writing wonderful, funny, snarky, touching, altogether-human books. If you start writing "I Feel Good and So Can You!" books? Well, I'll buy them.

But I won't read them.

Posted by Fran at October 6, 2009 9:50 PM

HA! Would it surprise you to know I think of myself as a writer of Christian fiction, Fran? HEE. Always have seen myself that way.

I find it both backwardsly charming and sad and ironic that the book of mine I think is the MOST Chritian -- certainly theamtically -- is the one that I get the most letters about from wildly offended Christians.

Posted by Joshilyn at October 6, 2009 10:00 PM

I was going to say De Colores, until I read Nicole's comment. I went to the very same retreat camp you did several years ago, and once as a kitchen volunteer. Don't know that I would call it life-changing, but still a nice, quiet, reflective weekend. Suffice it to say that I'm glad you had a good time and are changing for the better... it's a lifelong process in my opinion.

Posted by Carol at October 6, 2009 10:03 PM

NO, not the Brain Worms! AWRReeuugh! I first could almost hear Checkhov screaming, but then I also recalled the perhaps-related Bore Worms from Flash Gordon, which were also velly innerestin', in and of themselves.

Quiet, contemplative nature is delightful, but I like to be by myself, with nobody else cluttering up and wrecking the whole atmosphere for me.

Posted by Brigitte at October 7, 2009 7:42 AM

Your growth is so unwieldy it trudged its way up north and is currently slinking through the Lincoln Tunnel. I expect it to bust through my office window at any moment. Shall I set out a glue trap to catch it?

Posted by Karen Abbott at October 7, 2009 2:21 PM

I'm so glad you had that experience and enjoyed it! I made my Via de Cristo in 1995 - I can't believe it was that long ago - and for me it was life-changing. Like you I fought going and finally went just to get them off my back LOL It has made all the difference in the serenity of my life since then. Hugs!

Posted by Jill Cooper at October 7, 2009 9:43 PM

Actually, I did know that, Joss. I read some of your earlier blog posts, so I am up to speed on that.

But you avoid the whole overwhelmingly-preachy style and your characters are multi-layered and human and real. That's why I can sell you to lots of folks, not just the Christian-flavored sorts!

Posted by Fran at October 7, 2009 9:52 PM

Aw thanks what a lovely compliment.

Posted by Joshilyn at October 7, 2009 10:54 PM

Aw thanks what a lovely compliment.

Posted by Joshilyn at October 7, 2009 10:54 PM

I must know what this Emmaus thing is!

I think that all the things we go through sort of sharpen us and make us a clearer version of ourselves. Maybe that's because I believe that God knows exactly who I am and I'm in this world to figure it out for myself, so each time I go through some kind of refining fire I break off little bits of Not Me and uncover bits of Me.

Posted by Heather Cook at October 9, 2009 12:27 PM

Said only as you can... understood and accepted as only we who love you can. Frighteningly honest and true and chillingly close to personal experience. If only these growth periods could happen at the same time for all of us...and if only we could learn the lesson the FIRST time. sigh.
thank you for the reminder- and the accountability.

Posted by linda sands at October 12, 2009 11:57 AM