Comments: 3Q with Lily James

I am totally Googling this title, "Talking to My Old Science Teacher about Drawings in which I Killed Him" in hopes I can find the actual piece. Thank you so much for sharing Lily with us!

Posted by Mit at September 29, 2009 7:34 PM

Toledo is fabulous indeed when you live north of Detroit like we did. My kids loved the Toledo zoo. Maybe those cute animals were "not normal" and we just didn't notice because ... well, we weren't quite normal either. I will look for these stories!

Posted by Meg Moseley at September 29, 2009 8:32 PM

impact species away acidification order shelf

Posted by milsongaon at September 30, 2009 7:45 AM

technology frequency read deep study

Posted by lyndiminte at September 30, 2009 7:46 AM

Heh. I was born and raised in east central Ohio and now live in Austin (for the past 30 years) and I'mma tell you what, they are two different WORLDS. I'll definitely look for this collection as it will allow me to wallow around in the culture of my birth without actually having to GO THERE. It's a win!

Posted by Badger at September 30, 2009 8:09 AM

It's funny, growing up in MN, Toledo always seemed south. Far south, like near Georgia. It's still a bit of a shock to realize where it really is.

I love discovering new writers through this type of post. Thanks!

Posted by Jenn at September 30, 2009 8:38 AM

Whee! I loved "High Drama in Fabulous Toledo" and reading this makes me want to read it again AND get this book.

Posted by Aimee at September 30, 2009 10:48 AM

Sounds great - the crazy Midwest. Can't wait to read about Toledo and all the rest. I'm ordering it now!

Posted by cheryl at September 30, 2009 10:56 AM

LOL. This is a great interview of someone I actually know. Who knew? Thanks for sending me the link. I haven't read a collection of short stories in years and now I can wait to get my hands on this on and read all of the. I lived in Dayton for a few years and the description of Toledo just brought back so many memories. I'm not sure I wanted to remember all of them. Thanks.

Posted by Cindy at September 30, 2009 12:32 PM

I will have to order this one because it doesn't seem like Ms. Jackson (Thats what I call Joshilyn because it takes me back to my Janet Jackson days- "Its Miss Jackson if you're nasty!") It doesn't seem like Ms. Jackson will ever put out another book. Uh oh, what if she becomes like Jack Kerouac and stops writing? Don't be Kerouac, he was a pervert. So I will read this collection and put in a suggestion, please get the next book out Joshilyn. Don't get me wrong, I loved The Girl Who Stopped Swimming and Between, Georgia (Audiobook is the best) but if the next one could be anything like Gods in Alabama that would be great. Because that is the second best book I have ever read (No 1 was Old Man and The Sea by Hemingway). Maybe the next book will be number 3!

Posted by Jason at September 30, 2009 1:35 PM

Great interview, Miss Joshilyn! My to-read list is getting out of control, though.

OAN, I've been to a lot of small towns, but never to Toledo. All I know of Toledo is this:

(BTW, I hate the last line. It's mean.)

Posted by Lulu at September 30, 2009 2:26 PM

Dear Blog-bots Milsongaon and Lyndiminte,

Um, what??

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Dear Joshilyn,

Thank you for sharing Lily with us. She is right, "F*** with Kayla and You Die" is definitely a title that piques interest. And I, too, am smitten with Lily's wordplay. Gorilla in a tutu? That is an image worthy of Nose-Beverage. Almost as good as "cat-headed poodle walrus."

Jennifer

Posted by JMixx at September 30, 2009 3:08 PM

Ack, I should have made it clear that it's the last line of the song in the video I linked that is mean, not the last line of your blog post!!

Yikes.
Sorry.

Posted by Lulu at September 30, 2009 3:29 PM

As someone raised in northwest Ohio (including a 6-year stint in Toledo)...yes. Yes yes and yes to all that you said about that region of the great state of Ohio.

Also, I know of many many folks who never aspired to get out of the region. Indeed, I know of many many folks whose only aspiration was to get to Toledo. I know folks from high school who went away to college, then married their high school sweethearts and moved back to our small town and are now living in their parents' old house (down the road from their in-laws).

So although many of us couldn't wait to leave and have no desire to return, there are many who...um...didn't want to leave and came back as soon as possible.

Posted by Erin at September 30, 2009 6:37 PM

Forgot my finishing line, which is that all of the above (the folks who never wanted to leave NW Ohio) perfectly supports Lily's view of the area: that it's absurdly sublime.

Posted by Erin at September 30, 2009 6:42 PM

I don't know If I said it already but ...I'm so glad I found this site...Keep up the good work I read a lot of blogs on a daily basis and for the most part, people lack substance but, I just wanted to make a quick comment to say GREAT blog. Thanks, :)

A definite great read..Jim Bean

Posted by JimmyBean at October 1, 2009 1:35 AM

page attributable sunlight expected small worldwide results estimate

Posted by faunazeigl at October 1, 2009 9:52 AM

driven news capita africa others

Posted by washbourne at October 1, 2009 9:54 AM

My father grew up in Toledo and that's where my grandparents stayed. How can you not love a town with a baseball team called the Mud Hens???

And yes, the Toledo Zoo is a fantastic zoo - where else do they let you ride the Galapagos tortoise? (They may not do that anymore... this was in the 70's)

Posted by Beth R at October 1, 2009 1:14 PM

aE1I4r I want to say - thank you for this!

Posted by lilikindsli at October 4, 2009 6:58 PM