Comments: BETTER TUESDAY: What Time Is It? (Hint: Not Hammertime)

Well, I've been reading your Better U blogs, and trying to get up the gumption to start being a better me, but did nothing UNTIL I saw the difference in your pics. This week has been better!

Thanks

Posted by GLory Words at August 4, 2009 12:34 PM

You should have your before and mid-bettering pics tattooed on your forehead - that might attract some attention now :)

Seriously, you look great. And I have also lost 10 lbs, though I have not changed a clothing size, but I can feel my pants getting looser, and I looked in the mirror this morning and noticed that my lunch lady arms are going back from whence they came. WHEE!!!!!

Posted by Jen A at August 4, 2009 12:58 PM

I secretary mighty well, can don a bun that would induce a Joan Rivers level face lift, make a damn fine martini, have charcoal gray birth control glasses and am very willing to "convince" Greenland to run on real time.

...but alas, wrong name. I am deeply saddened.

Posted by Dani at August 4, 2009 1:08 PM

I was just having the "why haven't people commented that I've lost weight" conversation with my mom just the other day and I have a theory. My theory is that people are afraid if they say "Have you lost weight?" that will imply that you NEEDED to lose weight and they don't want you (and I mean the general you here) to think that they thought you were fat. They don't realize that you(me!) are dying over here wishing someone would notice.

Posted by Leandra at August 4, 2009 1:33 PM

I lost 9 pounds in July and not one person said a thing about it. I KNOW I look different because I can see it, my clothes fit differently and I'm standing taller & sucking my stomach in CONSTANTLY. That alone should make me look pounds and pounds lighter.

I think Leandra has it right. People are just afraid that you (we) will take it wrong and not as a compliment. A well deserved, hard earned compliment.

:: sigh ::

Pity the poor person who finally does notice and make a nice comment. I'll probably hug them and kiss them and make a Sally Field style acceptance speech.

Posted by wickedmess at August 4, 2009 2:48 PM

OR, you could just dispatch Beatrice to beat the crap out of them and save yourself the tatoo.

Posted by Roxanne at August 4, 2009 3:12 PM

A gal in my lunchtime total body conditioning class today mentioned that I was looking really good (we've been in this class together off and on for about 9 months). I almost hauled off and kissed her :-)

Especially since she's at least 10 years older than me and has a butt you could balance a martini glass on! You? Think I look good? YAY!

Yay for all of us!

Posted by Beth R at August 4, 2009 3:30 PM

Are you freaking kidding me? Now the AHA is reading my mind? How did they ever manage to wade through the football schedule and the recipe for pretzel buttons? (m&ms...yummy!)

Just when I was about to skip my better tUesday post for the week because I was too disorganized. Sigh...

BTW, just be thankful for that lost 10lbs and dress size. I haven't lost a thing, unless you count my mind. But that wasn't a sure thing before.

You look fabulous, dahling. Have you lost weight? Stop. You're almost too thin. Really.

Posted by Jen at August 4, 2009 3:34 PM

The last time I lost a bunch of weight, no one said anything until I had lost about 40 lbs. - even though the clothes were looser, and looser. I know they noticed, because when they decided to say something - they mentioned that they had noticed for awhile. So, please don't be frustrated - you look fabulous whether your regular peeps say anything or not. =)

Posted by gin at August 4, 2009 4:44 PM

Yay all of you who stuck with this! I went on vacation for 2 weeks in June and never got back on. My plan is to start anew once school starts up again. Compared to all the new and challenging things I'm trying, working out will be so old hat I'll become a gym bunny again. (snort)

So YAY everyone who has stuck with this and met at least one goal each week whether you've lost weight or not.

Posted by Jenn at August 4, 2009 6:06 PM

Some researcher people found that of all the compliments in the world, "Have you lost weight?" is the one that is most appreciated. Seriously.

Posted by Ã…sa at August 4, 2009 6:12 PM

Oh, Wow - Joshilyn, I just saw your before/mid photos. Nobody has noticed? Seriously? You look fabulous!

I am so grateful to you for dragging me into this program (though I confess that I found the AHA site too annoying to navigate, so I've simply been doing my best and entering weekly progress reports at The Turtle). I am feeling much, much better, I've lost weight, and I'm looking better, too - whether anybody else notices or not.

We have - what? Four more weeks to go? I'm ready.

Posted by Sandra Leigh at August 4, 2009 7:13 PM

You do look great! and it is VERY noticeable in the side by side pics. When I lost weight a few years ago, no one said anything until I was down nearly 25 lbs. I really think people don't want to say stuff for fear of hurting your feelings or whatever until it's SO blatantly obvious. To your face, that is....I live in the same part of GA and you can bet they're saying stuff when you leave. :)

Posted by Beth at August 4, 2009 8:06 PM

As long as you notice, it does not matter about the others.

Posted by jean at August 4, 2009 9:04 PM

Good heavens, woman! I looked at those pictures and you're, what, half your "before" size? You CAN'T lose any more weight -- you'll disappear and then who will write all the wonderful books we have yet to read?

Posted by Fran at August 4, 2009 10:17 PM

Your calendar struggles sound amazingly like my own (and I have WAY LESS to put on mine in the first place!)

And note for all who are afraid to say the "have you lost weight?" ... my best friend has it down perfectly: "Do you need a new belt? You are looking sooooo SLIM" I never get tired of hearing it! (And she's got me beat by at least 5 lbs, but I've still got her beat in the BP and cholesterol numbers)

And Jos, You are looking FIT and FABULOUS!

Posted by PattiH at August 5, 2009 12:12 AM

Yes, I think people are afraid that you'll think they're implying that you needed to lose weight and be insulted. Plus, I do believe there's something to the fact that the people who don't see you all the time were the ones to comment. It is more noticeable when you don't see someone every day.

Posted by Aimee at August 5, 2009 11:06 AM

Phew. That ain't no mere ten pounds, and those silent people could certainly say "You look MARvellous -- what's your secret?" I do not, do not believe in endorphins, but I fervently believe that your inner you is certainly better, since your outer you, secondary though we agree she must be, is FABulous. (So I took a two mile walk this morning. All for you.)

Posted by rams at August 5, 2009 12:31 PM

My usual response to people asking if I've lost weight is "I dunno, when did you see me last?". And sometimes the answer is "no", at which point I DO start thinking "They have a FAT picture of me in their mind!"

I weigh less than I did at the beginning of June (although not much), but I think it's about the same as August of last year, so....

And it's more than mid 2000, less than mid 2002, LOTS more than the mid-'90s.

Can you say "yo-yo"? Not much of one for fad diets, but I do tend to gain and lose weight, depending on my level of busy-ness and the degree to which I have the emotional energy to exercise and restrict eating.

Posted by Diane (TT) at August 5, 2009 1:35 PM

all these posts are on weight loss! I'm still on "I need a breakfast martini... it should come with little pimento stuffed Prozacs on a green plastic sword." I have tears rolling down my face!

Posted by Mary at August 5, 2009 2:50 PM

I lost 40 pounds last year -- four full jean sizes. When my sister (who hasn't seen me in two years) looked through my giveaway clothes, she pulled out a really cute Coldwater Creek duster and said, "Why are you giving this away?" I said, "It doesn't fit."

Her response? "Is it too small or too big?"

Seriously?! How can you not notice 40 pounds and four jean sizes?!!!

I can relate.

Posted by Katrina Stonoff at August 5, 2009 3:16 PM

I also tend not to notice even massive weight-loss on other folks. I _do_ notice that they look different, but can't recognize that it's due to weight loss.

I think a safe way to inquire is similar to PattiH's belt suggestion. "Is that a new outfit? You look really good!"

"Have you lost weight" is fraught, for me -- kinda like asking someone if they're pregnant.

Posted by Lulu at August 5, 2009 5:43 PM

I can relate, too. I've lost about 10 pounds and no one has said a thing.

Well, not no one. My beloved husband tells me all the time lately that it feels like he's holding less of me. :)

Posted by Nikki at August 6, 2009 12:25 AM

Joss - You look fabulous. Your peeps will catch on soon. It's summer and their brains are a little sluggish due to the heat and the martinis around the pool. As soon as school starts they'll perk back up and the scales will fall from their eyes and then won't they be surprised?

Katrina - You didn't say whether or not you smacked your sister after her comment. I think I might have had to smack any family member who said that to me ;)

Posted by Lori B. at August 6, 2009 12:44 AM

I'm a few days late, but wow! There's a big difference in the two photos. You look great! I was on vacation and well...kind of fell off the BetterU bandwagon, but your cute picture has inspired me to rejoin the posse for the last 4 weeks. That and a picture my son took supposedly of the lake, but all I could see was my great big butt getting into a kayak.

Posted by Marjorie at August 8, 2009 6:20 PM