Comments: Meme Time

I truly want to smash every person who has ever told me since I was 16 years old that I look like Celine Dion.

I think all the people who have told me I look like Alyssa Milano or Anne Hathaway need their eyes checked.

And I am totally in love with that one person who told me I looked like Marisa Tomei. He was completely out of his mind, but he is my favorite, the end.

Also, I'm not posting any kind of picture. Some poor innocent person might say, "You know, you really DO look like Celine Dion." And then I might turn into the Incredible Hulk and smash them. That would be unfortunate.

Posted by megan at July 16, 2009 10:59 AM

Yes, Traveler be warned! Say, "Huh! You really DO look like a girl Rod Stewart" at your peril!

Posted by Joshilyn at July 16, 2009 11:07 AM

Um, Joss? You do look like Katy Perry. And you should be flattered---she is pretty and SO ARE YOU.

When I was younger/thinner I was often compared to Winona Ryder, which I thought was very flattering yet crack-smoking, too. Lately I've heard Melina Kanakaredes a few time, but I assume that's because people cannot get past the hair. We do have very similar hair, but sadly I do not have anything even close to her body or face.

Posted by Mir at July 16, 2009 11:34 AM

There is not enough double-sided tape in the WORLD to make me comfortable in that top dress. *so judgmental of me*

Someone overheard me conversing with my dog and asked if I were Lucinda Williams. Just by voice.

And could somebody tell Mir that wouldashoulda is down?

Posted by elizabeth at July 16, 2009 11:51 AM

Oh my, you DO look like Katy Perry! It's in the bone structure, totally... except you look smarter.

Posted by Heather Cook at July 16, 2009 11:57 AM

Once in the late 80s' after a really nasty punk hair cut, I was accused of looking like Billy Idol. This person would sing "Rebel Yell" every time I walked by.

Posted by lisa at July 16, 2009 11:57 AM

Go to May 14 2009. I have a way worse comparison than to Rod Stewart.

Thanks for sharing. I pick Heather Locklear, but Jane Fonda or Teri Garr are probably closer.

And yes, Joss, you look SO MUCH like Katy Parry! Lucky girl, you!

Posted by GLory Words at July 16, 2009 12:11 PM

Hm. I don't think I've ever been told I look like anyone. Maybe I need new friends? Or maybe my friends just don't care what people look like? I like the second answer better...

Posted by Jen at July 16, 2009 12:29 PM

I can see the resemblance to Katy Perry, except you don't suck.

I've been told before that I resemble Kate Winslet, which is total BS but I love that idea anyway.

Posted by Cathy at July 16, 2009 1:26 PM

My most common was Laurie Anderson when my hair was short and spiky. Mostly because of the hair cut and the dimples.

Posted by Marleigh at July 16, 2009 1:35 PM

Huh. From those pictures, you DO look like Katy Perry. And she's glammed up while you're just working at home. Which means that if you were glammed up too (or she were working at home), you would win. The end.

Twice I've been told I look like Mare Winningham. I had to look her up, but the comparison is actually quite reasonable. Except, you know, she's pretty.

Posted by Holly at July 16, 2009 2:14 PM

When my hair was long and I used to dye it red as the fires of hell (in college, and I was super thin as well) I got the Kate W in Titanic comparison a lot. Now I get the crazy, unhinged Kate Winslet comparison of her more recent movies -- Little Children and especially Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, where she's a bit nuts and her hair is all over the place (very similar to my life with kids now). This past year I cut my hair, so now...?

Posted by Melissa D at July 16, 2009 2:55 PM

My best friend from my childhood looked like John Lennon. And she was a girl, mind you. I did not make that up- her father called her John Lennon. (She enjoyed this, so I'm not bringing up scarring memories or anything.)

And then one day she got contacts and we saw her without her glasses. And someone told her she looked exactly like Kirsten Dunst. She really did. I'm not sure how the same person can simultaneously look like John Lennon and Kirsten Dunst, but Katherine pulled it off.

Posted by Haley at July 16, 2009 3:05 PM

Well, when I was younger, they told me I looked like the girl who played Anne in the CBS miniseries Anne of Green Gables from the mid 1980s. Now, I think I look like the kudzu topiary on the dirt road that is shaped like a crooked tiara.

Posted by kudzuhomecomingqueen at July 16, 2009 4:08 PM

Holly! I, too, have been told more than once that I look like Mare Winningham. I don't see it myself, except that she is a little sturdier than most actresses, and I am also on the sturdy side. I wonder if we (you and I) look like each other?

Posted by Diane (TT) at July 16, 2009 4:19 PM

Back 20 years ago when I was relatively thin, I was told I looked like Molly Ringwald. I like Molly Ringwald, but have you seen some of her photos? She looks slightly deranged.
I hope that's not why people thought I resembled her.

Posted by Sandi at July 16, 2009 10:16 PM

My sister-in-law recently told me that she thought I looked like Stana Kanic, who co-stars with Nathan Fillion (heavy, heavy sigh) in the t.v. show, Castle. Yeah, I see it, I really do. We look just alike, except that I am 30 years older, 3 inches shorter, 40 pounds heavier, and have brown eyes. Obviously, my sister-in-law has beautiful hair.

Posted by Laird at July 16, 2009 10:41 PM

Once in college I was told I looked liked Linda Blair. Umm . . when she was spinning her head and barfing pea soup?

Now with the weight, I'm probably closer to Jabba the Hutt, but nobody is brave enough to tell me so.

Posted by Brigitte at July 17, 2009 6:43 AM

Most hurtfull would be Cliff Burton, the late guitar player from Metallica by cruel kids in junior high.
Most flattering but definately not true would also be Kate Winslet. Maybe there's a trend there. People who want to be nice say someone look like Kate Winslet, and the most insulting thing to say to a woman is that she looks like a male rocker.

Posted by Ã…sa at July 17, 2009 8:15 AM

I don't ever remember being compared to someone famous, but I get mistaken for a normal person all the time. And not just one. I have a "twin" in a lot of my normal hangouts. My own MOTHER walked up behind one of them, with whom I am frequently confused, and tapped her on the shoulder thinking it was me. Her own flesh and blood. Her first born.

And I get called the wrong name all the time. I guess I must be very average looking. I suppose that suits me for a life of crime, but doesn't do much for fame. Sigh...

PS You do favor Katy Perry quite a bit. I wonder who on earth she is. I might have to look it up.

Posted by Jen at July 17, 2009 8:22 AM

Joshilyn just wanted to tell you that the URL I gave here will go to a writer profile of you and your books. I wanted to make you aware of it.

Fans can leave comments too if they'd like

Posted by Tina Samuels at July 17, 2009 9:15 AM

I agree with Jen's comment about you favouring Katy Perry, but I would have to look her up. I think it is something to do with the eyes. No one has ever compared me to someone famous, but I do get recognized by a thousand people here in Kanata that I do not know from a hole in the ground.

Posted by Judy at July 17, 2009 10:05 AM

Ah ok, I'm still blushing from my namecheck here a while back, so despite the fact that my blog is supposed to be anonymous, there is a post here: http://cawbaw.wordpress.com/2009/07/17/this-ones-for-joss/
The photo of me is not all that recent because I am camera-phobic.
Fun meme : )

Posted by Orla at July 17, 2009 10:30 AM

I think Rod would make a prettier woman than he does a handsome man. I totally see that.

A little girl?! BOWSER?! Who told her that? Her wicked stepmother? Did she also give her a poisoned apple?

Jeez!

Posted by CityGirl at July 17, 2009 11:54 AM

I used to get told I look like Janeane Garofalo all the time. I hated that. And you DO look like Katy Perry!

Posted by Anna Marie at July 17, 2009 12:01 PM

Rod Stewart??? Come on now, that is just RIDICULOUS. You should stop talking to crack-smoking monkeys, is what you should do. Then you won't hear ridiculous things like that.

Katy Perry, I can see. No, you don't look exactly like her. But I can see the similarity.

Like Mir, I have curls; so I often get compared to anybody and everybody with curly hair. I've heard Julianna Margulies (don't I wish?) and Melina Kanikaredes and Nia Vardalos and Minnie Driver. Actually, I get Minnie Driver a lot. Again, I wish.

I can't, off the top of my head, think of any comparison that's infuriated me. Which probably means people are just making them behind my back. Oh well...

Posted by Aimee at July 17, 2009 2:08 PM

I've been told I look like Leanne Rimes which was ok.. I can sort of see it on a good day. But also like Jenna Elfman, which I don't see at all considering she is tall and thin and I am definately not.

Posted by Trace at July 17, 2009 6:09 PM

Melissa Gilbert. Since the day I was born until rather recently. She's gotten quite...carved, lately.

Posted by lizardek at July 17, 2009 6:11 PM

BTW, there is a girl at work who looks just like Taylor Swift. I have been soooo wanting to tell her but haven't had the nerve yet to say anything about it to her.

Posted by Trace at July 17, 2009 6:13 PM

My default icon on my blog is what i look like.

The best celebrity comparison ever occurred when i was walking down the street in NYC about 20 years ago and someone stopped and asked for my autograph, thinking i was Christina Applegate (this was when she was doing all those hottie Kelly Bundy type roles).

A couple people have also told me at various times in the past that i looked like "Angela Lansbury when she was young," which, ok, that's not a bad one either.

The only crappy one i can think of is in retrospect, when kids in highschool called me Lita Ford (due to the fact that i had big metal hair and went out dressed like a streetwalker, i guess). At the time, i was all, "Thanks!" Now, i'm all *double middle-finger extension*.

Posted by Rachel at July 17, 2009 7:36 PM

I used to hear Sissy Spacek all the time; I didn't, and don't, see it. I think it was purely because I had long straight blond hair. I have gone as far as to hint that I might do bodily harm to an individual who said, "Wait a minute...you look like...umm...that actress...Carrie...". Oddly enough, though, I was cast as "Babe" in a community theater production of "Crimes of the Heart" (and GUESS WHO played THAT role in the movie version!) I have also been told I looked like Stevie Nicks (okay, she's really pretty, but I don't have and never have had a rosebud mouth).

My favorite "you look like.." was Jessica Lange. And I flatter myself that there is a vague resemblance, mainly because I do see a similar facial bone structure (although I don't have the glam she does, and she doesn't have the "jowliness" I do).

I see your resemblance to Katy Perry (although you are--and look--much, much classier.) You look absolutely nothing like Rod Stewart in any way. And anyone who is visually-impaired AND stoned enough to make that comparison should GET A FREAKIN' MOUTH FILTER.

My "U" is not "Better" enough that I am ready to have my picture taken. Leetle more time, and a leetle less jowl, please.

Jennifer

Posted by JMixx at July 17, 2009 10:49 PM

Well, as a child -- big eyes, long neck, oversized head, long scrawny arms -- I was told often that I looked like E.T... Now it was the era of E.T., but still.

In my twenties, I was told a lot that I looked like Goldie Hawn and a couple times I've gotten that girl from Austin Powers with the big eyes who ACTUALLY looks like Goldie Hawn.

In France, I was once mistaken for Vanessa Paradis who is now married to Johnny Depp, who no one has ever said I looked like, though he may have been compared to E.T. when he was younger.

Posted by bridget asher at July 18, 2009 3:28 PM

I used to get Linda Carter all the time, which I thought was kind of weird, but kind of cool at the same time. I also used to get Erin Gray, who played Colonel Dearing on Buck Rogers, which, okay, I can deal with that.

The weirdest one though, was Courtney Cox. That one I DO NOT see. I mean, we both have dark hair and blues eyes, but that is it as far as similarities go.

Here's a link to a blogpost I did a while back with this cool face morph thing that said I look like Kimberly Williams, which was a first. http://themadamequeen.blogspot.com/2008/07/just-like-twins.html

Posted by Leandra at July 18, 2009 8:19 PM

It only took a week, but I've finally played along. The only person I can remember someone mentioning that I look like is Annie Potts, and I don't see it. Maybe on days my hair looks a little crazy, but not usually. I really don't think I look like anyone famous, so I'm posing the question, "What famous person do I look like" to the 8 readers of my blog. Dangerous, I know. But, it should be interesting. BTW, Joss, if you happen to read the last post on my blog before this one, you are mentioned there also. I never imagined that you would have any reason to read it. It is the highest of praise. Were Dr. Jack Reese, God rest his soul, still teaching Contemporary Southern Fiction at the University of Tennessee, I am convinced that his students would be reading you. He was an amazing professor who opened my eyes to the beauty that is Southern literature and for that I will remain eternally grateful.

Posted by Lori at July 22, 2009 12:14 AM

Took a while, but it's up: http://onebonnie.blogspot.com/2009/07/one-of-my-favoritest-bloggers-posted.html

Posted by BonnieAnn at July 22, 2009 3:35 PM

I always thought of you as Emily Deschanel.

Posted by Orc Warrior at July 22, 2009 7:33 PM