Comments: The Better-Mint of Minty Me Continues. Fresh! (and contest winners at LAST!)

I've been LO a few times over the past couple years. I never change the batteries until the next day because, well, LO feels soooo goooood!

Congrats on your great success at meeting your goals! Yeah, Joss!!

Posted by Charmi at June 22, 2009 7:02 PM

No spoilers but I have to say that I adored In the Woods and then I ended up enjoying The Likeness even more! I hope you meet your goals so you can get it!

Posted by Christie at June 22, 2009 7:46 PM

I LOVE In the Woods. One of my fave mysteries ever I think. The Likeness is really great, too. Tana French can just write a million books a year as far as I'm concerned. I will of course refrain from spoiling, except to just praise its general awesome-ness.

Posted by Jessica at June 22, 2009 8:12 PM

Scales that eat batteries are, to my mind, suspect. No reflection, of course, to your One True Scale, but their hunger is questionable, IMHO.

Loved loved LOVED "In the Woods" and "The Likeness", and if you get a chance to meet Tana, do. She's a stitch.

But she pales in comparison to you. Naturally!

Posted by Fran at June 22, 2009 8:14 PM

Ooh, I finished In the Woods a few weeks ago for a book club meeting that never happened. I really wanted to talk about it. Hope you meet your goals and get The Likeness. Me, I'm waiting for the library to get it. Since I just ate some of my 6-year-old's leftover bday cake, it's a good thing I'm not trying to reach any goals this week.

Posted by Lori at June 22, 2009 8:20 PM

HOLY GUACAMOLE, I WON. (Guacamole is a vegetable, i think. Just to stay in the 'healthy' theme.)

Posted by Rachel at June 22, 2009 8:34 PM

Maybe you should let Scott place the ONE TRUE SCALE somewhere "safe" ... so it's even MORE difficult to meet for scale trysts.

Congratulations on your goal!

Posted by Mit at June 22, 2009 8:42 PM

I knew the RNG hated me.

And, just so you know, when I was cackling loud enough that the TV volume no longer goes high enough to drown me out, my DH turned and said, "Are you reading Joss's blog again?"

You have a reputation in my house.

Posted by Jen G. at June 22, 2009 8:50 PM

I loved both "In the Woods" and "The Likeness." I hope you meet your goals!

Posted by Alison at June 22, 2009 9:23 PM

In the Woods is amazing, and as with everyone else who reads Tana French - can't recommend The Likeness highly enough. Trivia for ya, she worked on a dig site I also worked on (not at the same time though) and that's the one all the digging stuff in the book is based on. Weird reading it as you could see the places she was writing about. Site was Carrickmines Castle and you can look it up on the web (I'm giving you procrastination tools here) and read about all the fuss it caused. No murder, but still.

Posted by Rompompom at June 22, 2009 10:15 PM

Maybe you should have Scott take The One, True Scale out to the garage for a little "man to scale" chat. I bet THEN that you'd not be able to find it even in a month of Sundays. Of course, your mental illness number might shoot to infinity and beyond, so better that Scott is helping you keep the scale in working order. At least your won't take it on vacation with you.

Right?

Posted by Roxanne at June 22, 2009 10:18 PM

Hey, I've been reading your blog for a while now, but just now decided to comment...but it's about a post of yours from a while back, "A Winner is You". I was reading and I saw the words, "World of Warcraft" and went, "!!!" (because I'm a player as well). And now I have to know which one is you on this list!

Aside from that, yey for conquering the bad bad chicken!

Posted by Elise at June 23, 2009 12:56 AM

Penny is an alt.
My main is Reviva, Holy Priest, on Hellscream.

WELCOME FELLOW GEEK!

Posted by Joshilyn at June 23, 2009 6:57 AM

Congrats to the winners!

I loved "In the Woods" and "The Likeness"

Posted by pam at June 23, 2009 7:10 AM

Thanks for mentioning the sequel to "In the Woods" - I had missed it (my branch of the library hasn't got it, but I can request it and it should arrive in a few days, as there are some copies checked in at other branches. Cool!).

I am bummed about MY weight, as I have been Jumpstarting a new diet. It hasn't been awful, but food choices, drinking Sassy Water and remembering to walk after meals has been consuming me for the past 3 days - but, while my weight went DOWN nicely after Day 1, it's been up since. Official measurement day is (because that's when I finally got around to it) Thursday. I hope there is progress of SOME sort by then (the first day of the regular 1600 cal diet). Because I'll be healthier if my BMI drops below 25. The wedding in 10 days has NOTHING to do with it. Well, not much.

Posted by Diane (TT) at June 23, 2009 9:54 AM

I loved In the Woods, the Likeness not as much. Hope Tana French brings back the characters for more. Just started Commencement - has anyone read that?

Posted by Lisa at June 23, 2009 2:28 PM

As for a healthierU (a healthierme?), I'm still nursing the back injury from Memorial Day, but at least sticking to the healthy eating/food journal tasks. So, no backsliding or wt gain (even with a weekend fun trip) even tho no great progress here.

And I hate changing batteries in the scale -- it makes me gain 5 pounds. How is that any kind of fair??

Posted by Lulu at June 23, 2009 3:34 PM

Wow, keep up the great workouts! 4 bc's a week PLUS the rest? Dang. I'm beyond impressed, right into intimidated territory. (I'm wondering what the dog likes about all that, tho...)

As for my own healthierU (healthierme?), I'm still nursing the back injury from Memorial Day, but at least sticking to the healthy eating/food journal tasks. So, no backsliding or wt gain (in spite of a weekend getaway) even tho no great progress here. Could be worse. I could have to change batteries in the scale. (Why do new batteries in the scale make me gain 5 pounds? And how is that any kind of fair?? Glad that didn't happen to you!)

Posted by Lulu at June 23, 2009 3:42 PM

Wow, that is a heck of a lot of activity points last week! Good for you!

I am just finished up a pseudo-biggest loser contest with my friends and have smartened up my eating habits and upped my exercise regimen. Feels great! And five pounds lost in 8 weeks isn't too bad, either!

Posted by Lindsey at June 23, 2009 4:53 PM

I have problems with scales because no two scales have ever given me the same number. So I usually just go with how my pants fit.

Kudos for enlisting people to help you meet your goal. My family always seems to be standing in the way. Like the visiting grandmother I mentioned in another comment. So because of that I've fallen off the wagon a little, but I am back on track now that she has left.

Posted by Haley at June 23, 2009 5:10 PM

Well, I couldn't bring myself to commit to the BetterU, but I DID gather up my gumption & call the neighborhood park to beg/buy/steal a slot in the Tuesday evening yoga/pilates/kick-my-butt class.

AND IT WORKED. And I got in. And I WENT last night. And now today I can feel my ab muscles. Which feels funny. But I'm hoping to make the second half of my WeightWatchers goal by mid-fall.

Pray for me!!!!!