Comments: OFFstar (and contest results)

I only wish the "saftier than thou" jackhole who had initiated the beeping oculd be dissuaded so easily. I HATE THAT BEEPING!!!! Thanks for the reminder and all that, but if I want to be an idiot and drive around without my seatbelt on I should be allowed to. And if I want to be super lazy, and drive to the mailbox because it is raining or snowing or Monday (in all fairness my mailbox is two blocks away, I'm not driving to the end of my driveway), I should be able to do that without hearing beeping for the entire four minutes. AAAAAAGH! I wonder how many incidents of road rage are preceeded by excessive seatbelt reminders?

Posted by lonek8 at June 14, 2009 4:11 PM

I think i know the answer to this, though i state it with great trepidation and on tiptoe, ready to duck some face-punching with Matrix-bullet-dodging dexterity, if need be.

June *IS* National Safety Month!

I know this because i am the industrial safety rep for my department at work, BUT i am not a cheerfully oppressive wanker forcing people at gunpoint to don safety goggles and hardhats and greet fellow coworkers with phrases like "Have a SAFE DAY" while flinging bouquets of latex gloves. I swear!

I always hated that about customer service jobs, when someone would get a wild hair to force a catchphrase on everybody. Would you like fries with that? Would you like to open a credit card account with us today for 15% off? Would you be interested in adding one of our related products to your order for only $10 more? Ugh. Would you like my resignation to come accompanied by the flaming-doorstep-bag or just the standard finger?

Posted by Rachel at June 14, 2009 5:08 PM

YES BUT -- this started in MAY and ended a few days into JUNE. So. I do nto think it was part of national safety month. I think it was part of National Someone Is Being A Douche Day.

Posted by Joshilyn at June 14, 2009 5:22 PM

sounds like you gave the perfect response.

Posted by elizabeth at June 14, 2009 6:08 PM

Your pet peeve reminds me of mine - being asked/told to do something that I'm just doing. "Please turn that light off!" when my finger is already on the switch, for instance. "Turn here" when I've already put my turn signal on.

Congratulations to the contest winners!

Posted by Sandra Leigh at June 14, 2009 7:28 PM

I would love to see an animated version of a stiff-spined pucker-butt-mouthed disapproving rabbit of an ONstar exec being punched in the face by you. I say animated because I don't think a live action punch would live up to the image in my mind.

Posted by Stevey at June 14, 2009 8:21 PM

I think your healthy tip in return was JUST right.

Posted by Roxanne at June 15, 2009 2:28 AM

At my hospital, they started an initiative that included (but, sadly, was not limited to) calling patients "customers". I think because it was supposed to remind us that they could get their care elsewhere, whatever. If I am sick in the hospital, I would rather be considered a patient, though, wouldn't you? When I worked customer service, I often rolled my eyes or internally told customers to suck it. I wouldn't treat a patient that way. I don't think they know what harm they could be doing here. What I do know is they probably spent lots of money and had many many meetings (probably with delicious treats) to decide just how to recruit more people into douchebaggery.

Posted by Em at June 15, 2009 10:16 AM

Love the fruits and veggies response...

And, yay me-- I get a book!

Posted by Jill W. at June 15, 2009 10:26 AM

We share a peeve. I think mine started with this one art teacher I had in elementary school. Listen, my mama brought me up right. I say please and thank you -- WITHOUT being prompted, because that is just the way I roll. But this alleged art person would hand out crayons to us, and AS she was handing them she would sing-song, "You're welcome!" Even as a six year old first-grader that made me want to lay down a beating on her. So I totally get what you mean, and I only wish that, at six, I had figured out that the best response to that is not "Thank you" but "I'm sorry," FOLLOWED by a smack upside the head.

Posted by Aimee at June 15, 2009 12:18 PM

I find that "weinerhead" is an underused pejorative these days, and I thank you for bringing it back. I always preferred it to "doofus", myself.

Posted by Badger at June 15, 2009 1:24 PM

So I admit that I drive a 10 year old v.w. bug which obviously doesn't have onstar so I may be totally out of the link here but I thought onstar was for emergencies. Why in the world are you talking to these faceless voices every day?

Posted by Catherine at June 15, 2009 2:24 PM

I don't talk to my OnStar everday (becuz I never go anywhere different? LOL) but I did have 1 call where they did that and I thought it was a one time promotional thing. I agree with you and it cannot happen all the time as I will go bananas.

And, Yah - I won a book. Thanks.

Posted by Pamela L at June 15, 2009 3:04 PM

Hilarious as always, but isn't it Monday, dear beloved Joshilyn?

How are the goals coming?

And pppppllllllbbbbbtttthhhh to the RNG!

Posted by Jen at June 15, 2009 9:22 PM

I will tell you tomorrow I am SO wiped!

Posted by Joshilyn at June 15, 2009 9:30 PM

I LOVE this response. What a great way to react to unsolicited advice - I am totally doing that from now on.

Posted by teachin' at June 15, 2009 10:00 PM

LOL, I can only imagine what she thought when you told her that. How funny.

Posted by Justice Jonesie at June 16, 2009 12:30 AM

zfDgV6 hfN2cnPosa82GhrpCayYr

Posted by paul at June 19, 2009 11:28 AM

I had a customer service job many moons ago in which I had to ask the caller at conclusion: "Did I provide you with excellent service today?"

It makes me want to vomit just thinking about it.

Posted by Melisa at June 19, 2009 11:32 AM