Comments: The One True Scale’s Application for Deity Turned Down: Film at 11

I am going to exercise for at least 30 minutes every day including Sunday, and my goal is a fat-free frozen yogurt treat, which was a Better U website suggestion.

I think I will also reduce the power of the scale at my house because it definitely undoes my motivation.

Posted by Linda Sherwood at June 8, 2009 11:06 AM

I'm going to eat more fruits and vegetables. I managed Monday - Friday pretty well, but the only extra exercise I did on Saturday was walking to the Farmers' Market (1 mile total). And I took Sunday off - I probably mostly will.

Another possibility of doing things with friends is the cooking. Most cooking is really boring and goes better with company. 'Course, it doesn't tire the kids out, but it's a possibility.

I also need to work more on portion control: all of the substitutions in the world don't help when you eat out or get prepared food, but portion control does.

Posted by Diane (TT) at June 8, 2009 11:26 AM

I have been kicking heavy-metal ass with the exercise part of BetterU, and I lost another two pounds this week. I also did well with including heart-healthy foods in my meals, so yesterday I bought new workout stuff from Lands End and ordered "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" for my Kindle.

My goals this week are to eat more fruits and vegetables and to amp up my exercise with some weight training. My rewards? Well, I have to try to keep the rewards somewhat inexpensive, so my reward for both is going to be an at-home spa day next Sunday, including a hot bath, facial and pedicure.

Posted by Aimee at June 8, 2009 11:41 AM

The good news: I met my goal of 35-45 minutes exercise every day (5 days of running/walking on the treadmill and 2 days of very long, vigorous walks with dogs and short works with them every day). I've been keeping this up for about 3 weeks. I can now easily run 5 min. straight, which I know for many of you is not a big thing, but it is for me :). I feel firmer and a friend I only see every month or so asked if I lost weight. I have been eating better and NOT more.

The bad news: I gained weight!!! 2 lbs. If I am burning 300 extra calories every day and not eating more, how can I not be losing weight?? Grr. I guess I need to banish my scale too.

Reward: I ordered more exercise music for my Ipod to drown out the grunting/groaning men at the health club. Why are they so noisy?

Now off to buy more veggies/salad. I can sympathize with your dental surgery. My 16-year-old son had his wisdom teeth out Friday,so we have lots of ice cream, creamy soups, etc around here. And some narcotic pain pills, which I should probably dispose of...

Posted by Marjorie at June 8, 2009 11:51 AM

Not to sound like a commercial, but have you seen "Cook Yourself Thin" on Lifetime? The recipes look really, really good and easy. You can get the recipes online without having to watch the show. This week I am going to try the Penne alla "Not"ka. There is also a recipe for stuffed pasta shells that looks like it would be delicious. Definitely worth a try.

Posted by Jill W. at June 8, 2009 11:59 AM

I'm confused. (So what else is new?) Why does the South Beach Mashed Potatoes link go to a page about the Crossroads conference? Is there a page with "your favorite writers share their favorite recipes" or something and I'm not seeing it?

Posted by DebR at June 8, 2009 12:28 PM

I love my Skinny Cows, chocolate truffles! And that is my reward for this week ... Now for the goals.
1. Increase the levels by at least 2 on the elliptical machine (work harder!)
2. Eat 3 servings veggies per day (I get more than enough fruit, need vegs) and SHARE with the boys.

I'll blog it all tomorrow. And mouth pain of ANY kind will totally throw off your diet plans. Once you're healed, you can go back to using a canker sore for an excuse, still works. ;)

Posted by Patti at June 8, 2009 12:33 PM

Is it failure if you miss your goals but still manage to lose a pound??
Between the back injury and a freelance task on top of the regular 40-hr job, who has the will or time to excercise? Criminey. The good thing, tho, is that it also cut down on will and time to eat. I dropped one pound, to a 5-year record low.
I did manage 30 minutes on the dreadmill--going slowly up a steep incline didn't aggravate my back. But the aerobic gardening yesterday sure did.
For this week, some time activity (walking, gym, stretching) every day seems reasonable and do-able, as long as the back doesn't flare up. And, keeping ready-to-eat vegetables and fruits in the fridge for snacks. Also, get on with the food journal again -- that's been a big help in the last year.

Posted by Lulu at June 8, 2009 1:05 PM

OH the link to the recipe should WORK now. That was my bad! Thanks for the heads up.

YES, i-pod is a GOOD CHEAP reward for those who like songs. good idea.

Yeah my reward is kinda pricey---But I need aswimsuit badly so I am goign to buy a NICER one then I would buy anyway.

Posted by Joshilyn at June 8, 2009 1:16 PM

My goal was to track everything I ate with the idea of determining where I needed to improve. I mostly met that, except for Saturday when we had a yard sale and that totally threw me off. But apparently I eat a barely sufficient amount of fruit/vegies but my portion control....way bad! So my goal this week is to eat MORE fruit/vegies and pay more attention to my portions. And start walking with my daughter twice a week again. I've been too busy lately (I know excuses, excuses). Oh! And I found some really great stretches for opening up the joints and improving agility (of which I have none), but I think I'll save that for the next week. Baby steps, right? And my reward this time will be a Braums suger free frozen yogurt treat.

Posted by Kathy at June 8, 2009 1:41 PM

I made the mistake of stepping on the scale on Friday. I somehow gained 3 pounds. Which put me at TMICWWD+2. You can imagine the effect that had on my motivation. And while I thoroughly enjoyed the yummy cake at a birthday party on Sat, I didn't backslide too much. And the only dish I was tempted to sneak home with me was the salad. My friend can dress a mean salad! But I have a fridge full of greens myself thanks to the CSA so I resisted.

My goals this week are to eat those greens and the ones that arrive on Thursday. I also plan on adding 20 minutes to my walk to pick up my daughter from school 4 days this week. My pedometer should arrive this week and I need to determine a good step goal. I also want to start a strenghting routine that includes some knee-friendly exercises. I've decided that my goal for this 12 weeks is to be able to get down on the floor and up again without wincing. I think about 10 pounds and some strengthening should take care of it.

My reward will be a bottle of the bound-to-be-expensive champagne vinegar that makes my friend's salads so yummy.

Posted by Jennifer at June 8, 2009 1:41 PM

I think you did GREAT given the surgery!! If it was me, I'd have been up to my eyeballs in chocolate milkshakes all week - and the scale would have been up like I was carrying a bowling ball! I think your "E" is an EPIC SUCCESS.

Unlike you, I can't stay away from the scale no matter what I expect the results to be. (You actually have room under your sink? Oh my. I think I have another goal this week...clean out under my sinks so I could put the scale away if I wanted to.) I was very pleased to see that I am down 3.2 pounds this week! Woohoo! Since I met all my goals along the way, too, I'm off to get my plants for the front of the house.

Congrats to everyone! And, best wishes for another week to a BetterUs!

Posted by Charmi at June 8, 2009 3:35 PM

I think you did really well considering the surgery! I went down 2 pounds which was my goal, so I'm happy. I think this is from a little bit more exercise and I made a few different and better eating choices than usual because I was thinking about it. And that is thanks to BetterU and You, thanks! Oh and I'm blogging this process also.

Posted by JulieZS at June 8, 2009 4:46 PM

Just FYI, I have bought several swimsuits from Land's End and they are wonderful and worth the cost! They FIT, the way they say they will fit, and they last a LONG time and still look nice. If you are unsure about sizing, you can measure yourself and their sizing charts are ACCURATE, and if you are still unsure (I am one size on top and another on bottom and their tankinis can be ordered each piece separately), you can chat online with a very helpful person who will recommend the proper size to fit you. Go for it - they are the best suits around!

Posted by Gail at June 8, 2009 5:27 PM

Glad you're feeling better! I've had a lot of success in the past with a low glycemic diet, combined with exercise. I'm still following the diet, more or less but have fallen off the exercise wagon but you've inspired me to start again. Thanks!!! I've got 40 pounds to lose...starting Now!! Big salad for dinner and a walk on the treadmill for dessert. I'll check in on the weight loss in a couple of days.

Posted by LaurieB at June 8, 2009 5:48 PM

I would love to have that slow cooker chicken and grits recipe!! I had a biopsy on my tongue several years ago and stitches in your mouth feel very odd. You are so happy to eat normal again. Mine turned out to be nothing--my molar was shredding my tongue causing scar tissue. That was a lot of pain for thankfully nothing serious. It is worth the peace of mind, though.

Posted by Rebecca at June 8, 2009 7:46 PM

"Not dropping dead seems theoretical. My skinny jeans are immediate and REAL."

Have I told you lately that I love you? I am SO with you on this!

Posted by ccr in MA at June 8, 2009 8:08 PM

Those nice people at Land's End are not only helpful but they answer the phone on the first ring. Even during the Christmas rush!

Kathy, can you share your resource for those joint-opening stretches? I bet my knees would love them.

Posted by Jennifer at June 9, 2009 12:29 PM

I have started Better-U-ing a week late, thanks to an "issue" that has had me going to specialists, having dreadful awful testing, and feeling like I was a big green garbage bag, brimming with bits of broken glass, can-opened soup can lids, and unidentified weird crackling and sloshing noises. I know, that seems like TMI, but, believe me, that WAS circumspect.

Sowanyway, yesterday I finally went online and took a quiz and set some goals and identified some barriers, etc, etc. I have been reading all of the fit, health-conscious people's comments, and I feel a little bit like a clueless wannabe. My goals for this week are to exercise 10-30 minutes each day and the REEALLY basic one about identifying benefits of being active and eating healthy and the barriers thereto. Unofficially, I am also trying to keep my daily calorie/fat intake to 1400/31, and am keeping a food diary. Bananas and apples are my friends.

My reward, should I choose to earn it, shall be a bubbly spa bath with candles, a good magazine (which I will not care if I get wet, unlike a good novel!), and a small glass of wine.

My barriers are difficulty getting my butt off the sofa to exercise, and I feel kind of helpless to change my biggest risk factor (also, coincidentally, my butt--er, actually my weight). Dealing with the barriers will involve being realistic and nice to myself--floor work, including crunches/situps, stretching, leg lifts, etc, WILL SO TOO count as exercise (BOOT camp? Not this week, said the human Hefty Bag, I am sorry, but just, no), and I will journal about other times in my life when I have succeeded at achieving goals that seemed out-of-reach at the time (I got my big fat Master's in Clinical Psychology, and it has made me darn good at work I love! just for an example...)

The good news? Depending on which scale is more accurate, I have lost between 6 and 11 pounds. The bad news is that 1)it is not particularly healthy to lose that much in 1 week and 2)it was because of the walking-garbage-bag issue, more than my wobbly attempts at good health.

I am sorry about the whole stitches-and-misery you have been going through; you make it sound REALLY FUNNY, but I bet it hasn't been! The only time I had stitches in my mouth, I kept fainting every time I tried to LOOK at them.

Anyway, soon soon I WILL go and ask to befriend you on BetterU, so I don't have to take up so much space in your blog-replies with all of this!!

Jennifer