Comments: Better U, Week One

Joss,

My mom had a great idea for a reward system, though I use it for more long-term goals. We bought nice charm bracelets, and every time we meet a significant goal, we add a charm to commemorate. The goals could be for every 10 pounds of weight loss, for losing an inch of stomach fat, for fitting into a pair of skinny jeans, etc. Just fit the goals to your health needs. It's difficult to stuff your face when you see that charm bracelet on your wrist as you bring your candy-corn-filled hand to your mouth.

Posted by Rita at June 1, 2009 8:22 AM

Am I the only one who finds the it funny that in the commercials the end says "Drag Me To Hell" in a menacing voice, then it shows the Mac guy? Is it like, buy a Mac and go to hell?

Posted by Laura L at June 1, 2009 9:51 AM

My husband and I heard the BEST plot summary for "Drag Me To Hell" on the radio last Friday. To wit: "Don't jack with the wonky-eyed gypsy." I try to work it into conversation at least once a day.

I set my goals. They are (1) to log at least 10,000 steps/day with my pedometer and to work in some other activity (aerobics, pilates, etc.) three times this week. My reward for that one is that I get to buy new workout clothes, since I'm working out in shorts I've had for 10+ years. And (2) to include heart-healthy foods in every meal. My reward for THAT one is that I get to buy one of my "save for later" books on my Kindle. I love my Kindle.

Posted by Aimee at June 1, 2009 10:45 AM

My goal is to get out of bed and exercise, instead of lying there reading 'til I get ready for work (or getting up and eating!). I did some hand weights this morning. My reward will be a new pair of socks (the pair I got out this morning had a hole in it). They will be a nice color and made from organic cotton.

After reading the other blogs, though, maybe my reward for next week will be a pedicure - such a good idea!

Posted by Diane (TT) at June 1, 2009 11:05 AM

Since I hurt my back (again. crud.) last Monday, my goals have shifted. I now plan to go to the gym tonight and see if I can do _anything_ on the elliptical. If so, I will go to the gym 4 times this week -- doing anything will be better than sitting still trying to prevent lightning bolts.
If I do not gain any weight this week, that will be success, as stopping the exercise usually means +1 lb and I do. not. want. to up that score.

Posted by Lulu at June 1, 2009 11:24 AM

Now that I've convinced my daughter that my bathroom privacy is a good thing, I'm trying to teach her that I don't converse through the bathroom door. Think it will work?

My goals are:
1. Offer 2 separate veg at meals and eat them first.
2. Delay my daily chocolate milk until afternoon as a snack. Erm, part of a snack. And only one glass.
3. Buy a pedometer
4. Walk my daughter to or from school every day it isn't raining.
5. Visit the gym once this week.

Posted by Jenn at June 1, 2009 12:16 PM

My husband and I have also said we want to go see Drag Me to Hell. I like that being the reward for the week. I'm not sure though; I'll have to think about this.

Posted by Linda Sherwood at June 1, 2009 2:34 PM

CountryGirl-CityGirl wants to give you a little blog bling.

It isn't an award like a *real* prize, but we love you and we think you rock and we want you to have it. :o)

Here's the bling:

See this post for details: http://countrygirl-citygirl.blogspot.com

Posted by CityGirl at June 1, 2009 3:15 PM

Joss, I LOVE your fruits & veggies goal, and I am totally stealing it. Sorry. :) I've also resolved to head to the fitness center and work out at least four times this week.

On a different note, my sister-in-law apparently thinks that watching "Drag Me To Hell" would invite the devil into her being. Or some such. Surprised the hell out of me (heh)! All I can think is - really? A Justin Long movie? I mean, I find the whole concept a little loopy, but a mainstream movie starring the "I'm a Mac" guy is the one that'll getcha... REALLY?

Posted by thisgirlremembers at June 1, 2009 4:25 PM

Okay, delurking w/some goals for the week:
1. Spending 30 minutes on the eliptical each day.
2. Walking kids to daycare/me to work at least once this week, just to figure out how that will work with our routine.
3. More veggies!

Posted by Jessica at June 1, 2009 7:19 PM

Dear Ma'am,

I am not pleased with your statement about our species not having organizational skills. Panda bears are highly organized in our own way, and this discrimination will not stand. You will be hearing from one of our lawyers as soon as he files the proper paperwork. He must find them first. His office is a mess.

Sincerely,
Concerned Panda

Posted by A Panda Bear at June 2, 2009 9:23 AM

One word,Joss - Smoothie. (Yoghurt, fresh fruit, ice, blender, Yummmmm).

Much sympathy.

Posted by Sandra Leigh at June 2, 2009 3:56 PM

So, I'm not participating in BetterU, but I AM working on being a better me.

My goals:

- clock more than 10,000 steps per day on my pedometer.
- maintain a downward direction on the scale. So far, I have lost 7.5 pounds.
- walk with Leslie Sansone to one of two videos at least 5-6 days per week. Preferrably 6, but meh - life gets in the way sometimes.
- if hungry between meals, drink 1 large glass of water or iced tea (made with Splenda). Wait. Still hungry? Eat 100 calorie (or less!) snack.
- decrease by roughly half typical serving sizes of non-vegetable parts of meal.
- increase by roughly half typical serving sizes of vegetable parts of meal.

I haven't thought about what my rewards should/will be, but I'll come up with something. :)

Posted by Erin at June 3, 2009 7:18 PM