Comments: Better tUesday: Fitness Before Numbers

Okay, I signed up to start on June 1st too! I'll be working at an outdoor drama, so I'm hoping I'll be able to find the time to work out, but my main focus will be on changing my eating habits.

Some of the goals I've come up with include:
-losing X amount of pounds (I know X, yall can't... sorry!)
-being able to run or jog a mile without stopping to walk
-being able to do 10 boy-style push ups (at this moment, I can do ONE)
-feeling better all-around about my body and my self

Good luck to us, posse!

Posted by Dani at May 26, 2009 9:16 AM

I'm joining you too, but I have a torn achillies at the moment and so I'm just hoping to make better choices about food, do some swimming and hopefully be able to walk farther than the mailbox soon...

Posted by Jen at May 26, 2009 9:43 AM

I am willing to bet that my MET level is somewhere around... 1. Or maybe 2, on a good day. As such, I am going to skip the rest of this and hide in my closet with some gluten-free brownies. Goodbye!

Posted by Mir at May 26, 2009 9:53 AM

Like Jen, I'm joining you too but without the posting numbers and exercises bit. I will walk further than my mailbox and I promise to not eat entire pans of brownies. Does that count? Oh and I promise to go to the beach tomorrow and swim and boogie board and eat ham sandwiches. Take that, BetterU!

Posted by edj at May 26, 2009 9:54 AM

I am going to the gym tonight and will do the boot camp test. :) Will report back later with numerical data.

Posted by Jess at May 26, 2009 10:08 AM

I'm going to gather my numbers tonight!

Posted by Tammy at May 26, 2009 10:44 AM

I would be happy to friend you if I could figure out HOW to friend you. Maybe I'm slow, but I just can't see a way to do it.

I've been walking a LOT this past week. I managed to hit 10,000 steps the past two days. Today will be a challenge because I'm back at work. But I lost weight in the past week and I feel better already!

Posted by Aimee at May 26, 2009 10:45 AM

In mental preparation I am trying to get off the diet Coke. I always do better that way.

I haven't had one since Friday at lunch. Amazingly, I am not incapacitated by headache, although I have had about a pot of coffee a day.

I will collect numbers in the next few days but they are double secret.

Posted by Jen at May 26, 2009 12:19 PM

Ok, so I've decided I'm doing this with you.

Before-in-Numbers:
BMI: 22.4 (so that's "healthy weight", but just barely)
Weight: 131 lbs
Height: 5"4'
Heart rate: 83 BPM. I kept taking this over and over trying to make it go down (but it didn't). This is juuuuust past "healthy" range.
Blood pressure: I'll let you know when I know.
Waist line: 32 inches

BOOT CAMP Results:
Push-ups: 29.5 (I only get half a point for that last one because it was more a desperate attempt to get to 30 push-ups before time ran out and a epic fail at that...)
Sit-ups: I did 20 with 2 seconds left and instead of fighting for that last one I laid down all gaspy and out of breath. Ugh.
Dips: 19. First time ever doing those devils and I hated them. Congrats. I probably didn't go down as far as I needed to but ... I tried.
Plank: A little over a minute. Like a 1.10. And dying.
Running: I can run a mile in 10 minutes. I know this to be true. (That's what playing soccer for 4 years can do to you.) And I have to go pick up my little sisters from school VERY SOON so I'm not putting it to the test (right now).

I don't know my cholestoral and glucose and THOSE WEIRD CHEMICALLY NUMBERS stuff because I didn't go to the actual doctor to get these numbers. (I did use Wii Fit to find my BMI and weight, though.)

My goals? I want to lose 10 pounds. TEN POUNDS. That's not too much to ask. AND more than anything I want to be healthier. That's the breaking point for my decision. I'm still in college, so I exercise very half heartedly and make poor eating decisions, and my WEIRD CHEMICALLY NUMBERS and heart rate are probably terrible. So that's why I'm joining you guys on this quest.

I'll be blogging about it over at my LJ. Looking forward to this adventure!

Posted by Emily at May 26, 2009 12:59 PM

Ok, so I've decided I'm doing this with you.

Before-in-Numbers:
BMI: 22.4 (so that's "healthy weight", but just barely)
Weight: 131 lbs
Height: 5"4'
Blood pressure: I'll let you know when I know.
Waist line: 32 inches

BOOT CAMP Results:
Plank: A little over a minute. Like a 1.10. And dying.

I'll be blogging about it over at my LJ. Looking forward to this adventure!

Posted by Emily at May 26, 2009 1:01 PM

I've signed up but can't find anywhere to "Friend" you. Maybe I'm not looking properly.
But i have been looking forward to today to buying TGWSS to send to my sister who lives in Israel.
I suppose I should be sending more than 1 copy so she and her friends could all read it at the same time. Hmm. Thinks.

Posted by gillycat at May 26, 2009 1:18 PM

Hey Joshilyn - clue me in. I went out and logged on (had already registered) and it said to choose a Monday but on the calendar they were all blocked out so you couldn't choose one. And you can't go to the next step without choosing one. Help!

Posted by Jill Cooper at May 26, 2009 1:45 PM

Nevermind...guess I can't start in May LOL Figured it out.

Posted by Jill at May 26, 2009 1:46 PM

I can give you my numbers right now, without any of that annoying actual exercise.
Push-ups: zero
Sit-ups: about two
Dips: about one
Plank: something less than two seconds
Laps: distance doesn't matter, my time is eternity

Posted by kmkat at May 26, 2009 1:46 PM

I can;t figure out how to friend either. It can;t be hard -- I am CONFIRMING friends right and left so SOME OF YOU figured it out -- if you did, then LUCY, you have some splainin to do, right here!

J

Posted by Joshilyn at May 26, 2009 1:54 PM

I'm part of the posse - joined up late in your last post, posted some numbers there. Worked out three times since then (pilates Fri., exercise bike Sat. and Sun.) which is very good for me since I've been on Exercise Hiatus since the fall. Also, I took my measurements - something I've never done through my previous Weight Watchers adventures - and logged them on WW. This is good b/c now I can keep track for those sad weeks when the scale isn't showing the loss but you know you've made progress.

The only one you asked for was waist - mine is 35, which is juuuuust on the good side. I was surprised it was that good, since I'm at goal weight + 40 or so, but I'm still hourglassy, just a bigger hourglass all around, so the waist is still proportionally small. Want to get that number down, and definitely want to get the bust, arms, hips, and thighs numbers down.

Posted by Genevieve at May 26, 2009 5:12 PM

I remember reading somewhere that Coke bottle shapes are at lower risk for heart disease than apple shapes---I will have to find out oif that is true. I;m hour glassy myself, little in the middle but the butt is....

sadly not round. Wide and flat as Kansas. I have a TERMINAL case of white girl butt, and Mix-a-lot would not pull up fast to retrieve it.

Posted by Joshilyn at May 26, 2009 5:40 PM

I'm in! I signed up last night and wanted to "friend" you but I can't seem to do it either.

As for my numbers...well, I'm still in the process of putting them together for weight, waist, exercise tests, etc. Suffice it to say too much, too big, and not nearly enough.

I'll be blogging about my progress though. And, I fully intend for there to be A LOT of progress over the next 12 weeks!

I'm excited thinking about all the posse-bilities for all of us over the next 3 months!

Posted by Charmi at May 26, 2009 6:08 PM

Happy Launch Day, Whoodie.

Posted by Karen Abbott at May 26, 2009 8:58 PM

I left you a message on your betteru that I can't friend you. I hope we can be friends soon. I'm so excited to be in your beloved posse!

Posted by Nik at May 27, 2009 3:48 AM

To add friends at Betteru, go to community, browse friends, find people and then you can add them. I'll post my goals next Monday.

Posted by Marjorie at May 27, 2009 7:42 AM

Umm. I meant browse members, then friend them. It's on the grey band across the center of screen.

Posted by Marjorie at May 27, 2009 7:43 AM

I am able to BROWSE with no difficulty. But I do not see any friend option on the gray bar, or anywhere else. I am logged in, and now officially aggravated with the site.

Posted by Aimee at May 27, 2009 2:45 PM

I'm in the posse! I just signed up for the program. Had my fitness assessment done last night, results due soon. Now just have to have cholesterol checked. :)

Posted by Vicki at May 29, 2009 1:48 PM