Comments: Better Tuesday: Revelations

I'll post my numbers later, I'm actually fiddling around before leaving to give an Killer English Final. (ha)
But I wanted to reassure you about the scale discrepancy. It's a known fact (at least, I know it) that flying on an airplane makes you bloaty. So you could probably take 3 pounds off for clothes and airplane-bloat. Just my opinion. :)

Posted by JulieB at May 19, 2009 9:37 AM

Ha! I cannot even tell you how much I relate to the whole scale thing, and "You do not have to actually poo!" Too funny.

I am way too much of a chicken to post my numbers. However, I have them. I need to lose weight. I need to be more active. I bought a pedometer this weekend and am aiming to get up to 10,000 steps a day. I wore it yesterday, on a day when I worked and had Spanish class. I took a walk at lunch, but had no time for EXTRA walking at night, and I took 5,189 steps. SO. I think 10,000 is challenging but doable. I have to rearrange my schedule some. My work hours suck right now, I'm at work now, people, and I am on the WEST COAST. Gah. And I am not a morning person. The prospect of working out BEFORE work is... bleak. I have a hard enough time getting up as early as I do to get here. I am already getting up at o'dark thirty. I refuse to get up at o'dark SHARP, so the workouts will have to be after work.

ANYWAY. I am glad to be part of a posse.

Posted by Aimee at May 19, 2009 10:22 AM

Hokay...deep breath...

My current BMI? 31.2. Thirty-one point freaking two!!!!

That translates, roughly, to TMICWAND +45. Apparently I have been deceased for some time now. Heh.

My measurements will have to wait until I stop crying.(Just kidding--I am not crying. I am just very, very disappointed in my body.) I will need more than twelve weeks, I think.

Yeep.

Jennifer

Posted by JMixx at May 19, 2009 10:24 AM

Don't worry about coffee and its effect on your blood sugar. The latest theory is that it raises blood sugar so your numbers are still good even with a boost. More recent research says coffee very well may help prevent diabetes. More info here... http://tinyurl.com/plgvoj

Best of luck and stick to your guns with the weight privacy issue!

Posted by LaurieB at May 19, 2009 10:33 AM

YAY -- we are posse-ing up.

Let me just say to Jennifer and others -- we are not going to POPPINS OUT Here and try to be practically perfect in every way in 12 weeks. That way lies madness and despair and giving up. Setting little, reachable goals is the idea here.

Secretly? I want to lose 25 pounds and prep to run a marathin. I can't do that in 12 weeks. I'll fail. I'll realize how far WAY that ios and give up. Instead, I am goign to set a goal I can actually meet with a little work, and then that will get me CLOSER to my overall eventual goals.

Lose 2 inches in your waist---victory! Bring your cholesterol down 10 points? TOTAL VICTORY! Eat 5 servibngs of fruit and veggies EVERY DAY for a week? winwinwin.

I am not going to make a list of at EVERYTHIGN I NEED TO DO TO BE PERFECT. First of all, the internet is not big eonouygh to hold that list... We are going to go in just. little. steps.

And we will win.

OH
WE
WILL

Posted by Joshilyn at May 19, 2009 10:49 AM

Scuse all my typos I have a lunch date with a friend in 30 mins and I JUST got off my elliptical and I smell like a donkey. Maybe several donkeys. But I HAD to comment!

Posted by Joshilyn at May 19, 2009 10:51 AM

Weight Club.

I fear my waist size most. (Thanks, Mom and Grandma, for those lovely genes.)

Posted by Marla at May 19, 2009 11:26 AM

If we are in your posse, can we grab that button for our blogs? I'm all about spreading the word, you know.

Words, not numbers. I'm with you on the whole mortuary attendant/weight relationship thing. I'm not sharing any numbers.

Posted by Jen at May 19, 2009 11:37 AM

I have no idea what my numbers are except blood pressure is standard 100/60-ish for me. BMI is 20.8. I'd like to just maintain that, but work on eating better and getting the numbers I don't know to be GOOD for when I finally eventually someday find them out. Also my thighs are jiggly. No really. If I could lose the bit of jiggle. . . .

Posted by Jess at May 19, 2009 11:42 AM

At my doctor's office when I was pregnant and getting weighed every week and weighing as much as a bloated manatee, they posted a very kind sign above the scale - "Pretend it is your IQ." I appreciated it then, and I have reminded myself of it everytime I get on my one true scale and the numbers are clearly too high to be reflecting my weight. I figure on those days the scale is measuring my IQ and I go about my day confident in my glowing intelligence. Good Luck becoming a better U and finding Stacye and Clinton. I'm waiting for them too,so if they show up I'll send em your way next

Posted by lonek8 at May 19, 2009 11:46 AM

According to ionek8, I am very, very smart. What I need to lose...well, your number of pounds is less than the number of points I need to lose on the BMI. Except I hate the BMI and it is evil, because it's not entirely accurate with bone and muscle percentage and all that jazz, but the POINT is, that I am not healthy, and I would like to be. So I will start with Xs, and hopefully go with some minuses, and I shall make a doctor's appointment to get some of those other numbers.

Posted by Heather at May 19, 2009 12:14 PM

That wasn't a typo, Ms. Joss, it was a more accurate word. If one works up to running a marathin, one quite likely will be thin. I'm totally keeping that word in my vocab...and sortof, maybe considering a half-marathin this summer.

I'm wondering, how is it that I have a reasonable BMI (23.8) AND a 35-inch waist? Hmmm. The chicken legs are toned and the arms are...not exactly toned, but the middle? That is a squishy lump o'lard. (Maybe I'm set for a _half_marathin already.) So, with a fasting blood sugar of 107, and family history of teh diebeetus, we has work to do.

Posted by Lulu at May 19, 2009 1:22 PM

If it makes you feel better, I was reading up on measurements and other evil things over the weekend and found a bunch of resources that claim that people with hourglass shapes often have distorted BMIs because of the type of fat storage we have -- mostly in the hips and upper legs which are GOOD fat and preliminary studies have shown that people with that body type have smarter kids. I am not even making this up.

So buck up! It is better than you think!

Posted by Cathy at May 19, 2009 1:29 PM

I still have to call my vet's office and get my numbers from last Dec. But my BMI is a rotten 29.2. Phooey. So I'm at TMICWAND+30. To much for a measly 12 weeks, but that will get me started and hopefully continuing after.

Ride on Posse!

Posted by Kathy at May 19, 2009 1:41 PM

I'm in for the posse, but I don't have my numbers yet. I will get them before June 1, though. I know I'm about 20lbs over where I can probably maintain and I need to work on cardio right now.

One thing I think could be a lot of fun with the Posse: do we want to share the names of some of our favorite workout songs? We could come up with some playlists just for the Kudzu Krazies :-)

Posted by Beth R at May 19, 2009 1:43 PM

Okay. Here goes:
Total cholesterol: 199 (I'm squeaking too)
HDL (good): 69
LDL (bad): 115
Why don't the HDL + LDL = Total Cholesterol?
Triglycerides: 75
Glucose: normal (no number given)
Last blood pressure was 110/70.
BMI: 25.6 (probably worse today since I ate Chinese takeout last night which adds about 2 lbs to my normal weight.

And I have lots of hip fat, which you can tell me all you want is good fat, but I don't like it. Although for a posse, I guess it helps to have saddlebags, eh?

Posted by Marjorie at May 19, 2009 2:10 PM

Marjorie... *snort*. I knew these saddlebags would be good for something!

Posted by Aimee at May 19, 2009 3:03 PM

Despite that I am squarely in the midst of the most stressful time of my adult life, I am in. I'll post stats after having lab work done, which just happens to be tomorrow. Because seriously, why NOT try and take better control of my physical health and well-being when my MENTAL health and well-being stands on the very tippy-toed edge of a precipice?!

Posted by DeannaBanana at May 19, 2009 3:06 PM

I am joining your posse!

Ride on ranger!

Posted by Nik at May 19, 2009 3:11 PM

BMI 24.2, so I'm in the ok, but barely. The rice crispie treat that I am eating even as I type might push me over.

Posted by Lisa at May 19, 2009 3:20 PM

I have been scared to weigh myself recently, as I have been eating too much poundcake and other yummies lacking any nutritional value (this category does NOT include chocolate, as the Food of the Gods has both antioxidants and monounsaturated fatty acids). But I was Better yesterday, and so may pluck up my courage to stand on the scale and use the measuring tape.

I put an approximation of my weight into the BMI calculator. Man, it makes a difference if I am 1" different in height (I'm sort of at the 1/2 level, but it wouldn't take that): at the high end - 25.2 (overweight, but just barely), vs. the low end- 26.2 (definitely into the overweight category). I know that to be truly NOT overweight, I need to lose at least 15 and probably 20 lbs lighter.

But I am NOT an exercise junkie - it does not please me, unless there is either dancing with handsome men (not currently a feature in my life) or beautiful outdoors involved. So, while there might be some small increase in activity (I walk 3 miles/ day to and from work), it probably won't be much. There may have to be less poundcake in my future. Sniffle.

Posted by Diane (TT) at May 19, 2009 4:16 PM

Oh, and I can provide some enlightenment on the subject of triglycerides. I'm pretty sure that it is just fat. Your basic fat molecule consists of a glycerol molecule with 3 fatty acids attached to it - a triglyceride. So, I think that this is basically a measure of how much fat is floating around in the blood.

And I don't actually know, I am totally making this up, but: HDL = high density lipoprotein (I interpret this as a relatively small amount of cholesterol - not dense- being carried around on a protein complex - dense); LDL = low density lipoprotein (which I think is a higher proportion of the lipid- cholesterol - to carrier protein). So, maybe the reason that LDL + HDL does not equal total cholesterol is that there's some MDL in there - stuff that falls into neither the high nor low density category but might be medium density. Just a possibility.

Posted by Diane (TT) at May 19, 2009 4:25 PM

I am joining. But please tell Go Red that when I click on their button and the Lovely Andie MacDowell starts talking right away I am scared I will get fired. What? What did you say? Stop logging on from work?

Oh. Um, I guess.

Anyway I am joining and will send linkage! My numbers? The ones I didn't get last year? Yeah, I don't have them this year either.

I'm dialing, I'm dialing....but not from work, nope.

Posted by Karen at May 19, 2009 5:08 PM

Ok, read about this last week and went back and forth on joining, but I just went and did the BMI, 29! Yikes!! So, I'm officially in! Don't know if I'll be able to get Dr.s appt for the cholesterol etc by June 1st, but can start with BMI, waist size and weight. Besides I loves me a good posse!

Posted by bridget at May 19, 2009 5:14 PM

Jennifer - you and I must have been deceased for some time now LOLOLOL Fallin' outta my chair here laughing - wait do you get to laugh when you're dead?

Cathy I'm so glad to know my hourglass shape is actually a good borderline obese thing LOLOLOL

These comments are cracking me up!!! Oh my...guess I'm in. I don't have a scale so I can only go on what the doctor's office said last time. My cholesterol is fine but my sugar was a few points over last time I was tested - however I blame it on the yogurt with the HFCS that I ate before I went to the doctor! As for the BMI - let's just say I'm wavering on the obese line and I'd rather be wavering on the overweight line. So it will probably take 12 months but here we go!

Posted by Jill at May 19, 2009 7:22 PM

OMG, you are SO FUNNY. I love you!! How great that I can laugh and enjoy these posts for the next 12 weeks and longer!!

I am standing and blogging so that I can get more steps in today. I will also hit the gym today, PROMISE!

Posted by Justice Jonesie at May 19, 2009 7:43 PM

Not sure how crafty all you ladies are, but I thought these might help all the ache-y muscles you're probably going to start having now that you're buffing up. The site is actually put together by a nurse who wanted to make these hot packs for the hospital she worked at. There's a lot of filler information to help others get the process approved by their own administration. It's not terribly interesting, but if you scroll all the way to the bottom of the page there are instructions on how to construct the hot packs, and pictures to help you along.

Posted by Avallia at May 19, 2009 9:36 PM

OK! Let's do the numbers game, which I couldn't do before since my tape measurer was at home.

I couldn't find my latest cholesterol, blood pressure, etc. data, but I've never had a problem with that. My main problem is the weight I've gained since moving from Florida to Cleveland; winter is vicious for several reasons!

Current BMI: 29.1 - YIKES.
BMI Goal: 26.6 - I will not go crazy. It is a 12-week program. I can't expect miracles, but can only do the best I can. And I will repeat that mantra for the next 12 weeks.

Current waist: 33 inches
Waist goal: Not sure what would be reasonable. I've never measured my waist as a health indicator before. Help from the more experienced people? I always turned my head when being measured for fear of what I would see.

And non-number goals:
1. Be able to wear those sexy knee-high boots in the fall.
2. Actually have the widest part of my thigh be slimmer than my hips.

Posted by Cathy at May 19, 2009 10:17 PM

I am still suspicious about the locusts and things, but here's what I know.

My cholesterol is 144 (which frankly shocked me, but hey, cool)

My LDL is 92. Not bad but I should drop it.

My HDL is 47. Not good, and I should raise it.

Triglycerides? No earthly idea.

My BP is generally in the 110/70 range, which drives Lillian nuts because hers isn't.

My fasting glucose was 119, and I have a date with the vampire to have more blood taken for an A1C check next week. So we'll see. I see time on the recumbent bike.

My BMI is in the serioius 30's. I need to drop about 50 pounds, and that's not happening in 12 weeks, but I will probably drop some, which will at least make my doc happy.

So there you have it.

Posted by Fran at May 19, 2009 10:42 PM

Okay, I get it. You're serious about this, right? Oy. Without figures at hand, I can confess that I need to lose 40 pounds (so say the charts), my cholesterol is too high (I'm on medication for it), my blood pressure is usually fine but jumps up occasionally, and I'm shaped like an Oscar Mayer wiener, so I know my waist is way too big. Before June 1, I'll have as much more information as I can gather.

On the bright side, I've already started getting into the spirit of things - getting more exercise, including 1/2 hour treadmill walks & some weight training three times a week - and the hard part: curtailing my consumption of cinnamon rolls and oatmeal-raisin cookies. So, by the time this starts in earnest, I'm hoping to be only 35 lbs. from my goal. Fifteen pounds later, and whee! I'll have a puny 20 lbs.to go. Giddyup!

Posted by Sandra Leigh at May 19, 2009 11:00 PM

Okay. I'll play, too. Because I want to be healthy, for as long as possible.

I haven't been able to get any recent bloodwork, but last time I did, those numbers were good. So. I'll just focus on what I CAN monitor.

BMI - 27.3 (Ack!)
Weight - According to the chart, I'm Ideal+40. But in 12 weeks, if I can lose 25 pounds, I'll be ecstatic (and no longer "overweight" - yay!)

And thanks for inviting us to be part of your posse. I can't think of anyone I'd rather ride with.

Posted by Julie G at May 20, 2009 9:55 AM

I think I have mentioned before that I have already been trying to make some small changes. I have added fruit to my diet in a serious way; I eat at least one apple daily, and frequently get my dinner from the nearby Ukrops' salad bar. I actually like raw spinach!

I haven't been doing so well on the goal of "walking a mile and a half at 3mph,3 days a week." Apparently I need someone to drive me a mile and a half from home and drop me off, so I can lumber back to the barn, with my bell clanging around my neck.

And, because of all of the wonderful people here and the supportive atmosphere, I am going to cough up the ABSOLUTE WORST NUMBER in my LIFE: my weight. Ready?

200. Pounds.

Moo.

Jennifer

Posted by JMixx at May 20, 2009 12:53 PM

Jennifer, honey, that's the weight I should be aiming for.

Heh.

Posted by Fran at May 20, 2009 10:54 PM

I'm joining the posse (late - I can be the curly-haired stranger riding up to join the posse at the first place they stop to camp).
I have to do measurements etc. this weekend, but I know that I'm TMICWAND+25 to 30, and Ideal+35 to 40. And last time I checked, my BMI was, sadly, in the bottom of the "obese" range (and that word freaks me out, since I feel like I look definitely overweight, but not what I think of as obese). If my weight at a doctor's office last week is to be believed, my BMI is 30.3; however, the last time I weighed at home I weighed more, and clothes are tighter than the last time I weighed at home, so I'm guessing it's more like the 32-point-something it was then. Will confirm this weekend, and do some measurements.

I LOVE the NoPoppins approach, Joshilyn. I'm aiming to do this a pound or two at a time, with 5-pound-goal increments. 12-week goal will be 10 pounds less, so I can be TMICWAND+15 to 20, and will have the ability to wear many more of my pants and skirts than I can at the moment.
Sadly, exercise is dependent on my head health (frickin' migraines that are waaaay too frequent), but I can at least control the eating part, and work on the exercise part when my head allows.

Posted by Genevieve at May 22, 2009 10:43 AM

I LOVE this blog. Love, love, love.

After some consideration, I am thinking of hiring someone to abduct me forcibly thrice weekly, drive me a mile-and-a-half from home, and boot me out of the car to walk home.

Genevieve, I am also in the lower "obese" range, which also freaks me out, hence my recent bovine self-references. Re: the migraines; I was so happy to discover Axert (almotriptan), but if your migraines are constant, have you already explored Depakote (valproate) or Trileptil/Tegretol? A doctor I know has said they have been effective for some. (Yes, I am Nosy Parkering again...feel free to ignore me...)

Some scary numbers from Evil Tape Measure: 38, 37, 46. Apparently I am morphing into a bowling pin.

Jennifer

Posted by JMixx at May 24, 2009 12:29 AM

I have no idea where my previous comment where I posse'd up to this challenge went, but here is hoping it does not somehow foreshadow my overall commitment to this! Having lab work done tomorrow and will follow-up with the details when I receive them. Good luck, everyone!

Posted by DeannaBanana at May 25, 2009 7:24 AM