Comments: To Rabbit or Not to Rabbit, that is the...3 Questions with John Jeter

The bunny in that video is insane! Poor Max. Thank goodness he can climb (!) trees.

I've always heard you can't have both a rabbit and a cat because the rabbit will kill the cat. The cat thinks he's the predator and this is a yummy bunny and he attacks the rabbit, who promptly responds by ripping up the cat with his mighty feet and claws. It's said to be rather vicious and frightening, actually. I've never heard of a cat winning against a full-grown rabbit.

Posted by Holly at March 31, 2009 12:30 PM

"flatware osmisis" Snurk. Person who writes that I'll read.

Posted by rams at March 31, 2009 1:48 PM

I have several friends who have cats AND rabbits -- and the rabbits win, every time....

CJ

Posted by CJ at March 31, 2009 3:03 PM

I've never owned a rabbit, but based on my former guinea pig, Ginger, who used to bite my older sister all the time (yay Ginger!), I plead with you on behalf of the cats.

I bet you could get them to coexist if you got them all as youngsters, but seriously, getting adult animals even of the same species to not-kill-each-other is sometimes more work than it's worth.

Posted by firefly at March 31, 2009 6:40 PM

We used to have a neighborhood rabbit, someone's escaped pet, and it was enormous, 1.5 times the size of our giant 15 pound cat. It lurked in the bushes of the neighborhood, only dashing into view when there was a cat about. This beast would literally and I'm not making this up I swear, it would chase our cats into and through and around the house and yard. Totally unprovoked too, it wasn't that our cats were trying to mess with this beastie. It had it in for cats apparently. I was glad we moved, the cats were very relieved. That bunny was mean mean mean.
So, based on that one experience, I'd say nope on the rabbit idea.

Posted by JulieZS at March 31, 2009 8:45 PM

Get a rabbit! Get a rabbit! Get a rabbit!

p.s. Thanks for the interview. This book is now on my wishlist.

Posted by nik at April 1, 2009 4:02 AM

. . video trailers for books? When are YOU doing one? ;-)

Posted by Brigitte at April 1, 2009 7:49 AM

Wow... that is one BADASS AN A BUNNIES. ;)

I know Boggart is the bad cat, but are you quite sure he can take a bunny?

Thanks for the three questions. I have to see if that book is available on KINDLE!

Posted by Aimee at April 1, 2009 10:22 AM

I like how the rabbit eventually learns to go after the NON-BITING end of the snake.

Thanks for bringing back 3 questions!

Posted by JenniferG at April 1, 2009 10:48 AM

Scott is correct. I know this because my cat once presented me - quite proudly - with the back half of a very large jackrabbit. The back half. No head, no neck, no shoulders, no front legs. Those were the tasty parts, I guess.

Not pretty.

Posted by Amy-Go at April 1, 2009 3:16 PM

Been there, done that...

Take my word for it....NO Wabbits

Posted by jean at April 1, 2009 3:26 PM

Just to fuel the fire - we had rabbits over the course of about ten years. Let's see - there was Max, then Winter, and finally Nimbus. Max was a little French Lop, Winter was a mix, but looked like your typical white shorthaired bunny. Nimbus was a French Angora - GIIII-ANT rabbit and then double that with hair.
None of our cats (and we had dozens of those) killed any of the rabbits. Of course we didn't ever leave them ALONE with the rabbits. The rabbits lived in cages between holding, running about, or grooming periods.
But in the bunnies out period, the cats loved to watch the rabbits and a few even liked to play together - I thought the cats were truly chasing the rabbit until the rabbit turned around and then chased the cats. It was a game. If the cats got too surroundy and obnoxious, the rabbits all seemed to hold their own and kicked the cats out of their space.
The cats did like to pretend to catch and eat the rabbit groomings however, which was annoying because then I had cats gagging up rabbit haired furballs.
And the rabbits liked to eat both paper and electrical cords. So they had to be watched and not allowed to hide behind furniture where electrical cords like to lurk invisibly.
Also, rabbits are great for recycling vegetable scraps into wonderful compost that can go straight into the garden without burning plants.
Cleaning cages is the not fun part. Which is why we stopped having rabbits after we stopped having kids willing to clean cages.

Posted by Laume at April 1, 2009 10:18 PM

And our rabbits never did get the whole potty training in the house thing. They rarely peed in the house, but they dropped little round rabbit "pellets" wherever they were. Easy to pick up, but still.
My mom and sister had an apartment rabbit, sans cats, but with a rabbit litter box on the balcony, and he was totally potty trained. They had to do odd things to keep their electrical cords out of bunny's reach however.

Posted by Laume at April 1, 2009 10:22 PM

I love the rabbits, but I'd be worried about the kitties.

Here's where I get my daily bunny fix:

Such disapproval, in such endearing packages! :)

Great interview, too!