Comments: Make Clicky?

Bridgitte commented that my brain needs a rest, bu I accidentally deleted this enire entry, and her comment with it. OOPS. Sorry!

Posted by Joshilyn at March 26, 2009 6:40 AM

You crack me up. When is the Backseat Saints hitting the shelves??????

Posted by Roxanne at March 26, 2009 9:37 AM

I missed the river post yesterday...but wanted to second the suggestion of the Pearl River, the border between so. Louisiana and so. Mississippi. It is a creepy river and there are many towns along it that would work...Pearlington(MS) , Slidell (LA) (a bigger town), Talisheek (LA - and VERY country). Bogalusa, LA is a paper mill town and very weird/creepy. Yes, Bogalusa might be a great bet for you.

Posted by Elise at March 26, 2009 9:38 AM

Man, that post had me wanting to scratch my head! Yick. :)
Hows about you take the first 50 words of Pathwords and make them into a sentence?

Posted by JulieB at March 26, 2009 9:47 AM

I was discussing this with someone the other day, and I mentioned that I like to start writing on paper, because I feel as though the blank page mocks me slightly less than a blinking curser.

Plus I like writing long hand because regardless of how time consuming it can be, when I transfer it to the computer I somehow magically have a second draft that I have been able to work out some of the plot holes in. I like that feeling.

Posted by erinanne at March 26, 2009 12:13 PM

Perhaps you are having a hard time writing because you JUST FINISHED the last book. I know you went to NY, but did you really take a vacation FOR YOU?! Some downtime might be just the ticket!

Posted by CariAnne at March 26, 2009 3:59 PM

"Bogalusa"--what a GREAT name for a town!!

I can understand how getting started on a new novel would be difficult; I don't even have ONE novel in my head, let alone four/five. I don't think. I haven't seen one, anyway, and I've looked around in there a good bit. Maybe if I had one in there somewhere, I could ramble less and say something more helpful...

The Pearl River in Bogalusa, Louisiana. Coo-ell.

Posted by Jennifer at March 26, 2009 4:46 PM

How about not writing specifically your novel, but just doing freewriting. I love Natalie Goldberg's ("Writing Down the Bones")style. Take any prompt, like tell me about the best smell in the world, and just start writing. Make it a timed writing, like for 10 minutes. That should warm you up at least. You may be putting too much pressure on yourself by saying "I have to write a novel now." A single chapter or even a few pages would be fine. Good luck!

Posted by Erin at March 27, 2009 11:57 AM

Sorry to arrive late to the river dance, but I would like to suggest rivers in Mississippi.
The Chunky River in east central Mississippi that even has its own town named Chunky and the Buttahatchee River because the name is so funny.
I would also suggest the Yazoo because I have a house there and George Clooney filmed scenes for O Brother in the area. Darn near makes it holy ground!
Also consider the Sunflower River in Clarksdale, MS. It is a great excuse to visit and stay in the Shack Up Inn.

Posted by Kaye at March 28, 2009 2:33 PM